What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Application Hold Off  (Read 2186 times)

Offline dub87

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Application Hold Off
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Hello,

I've lurked around and have a question on if I should hold off on my application and further develop it or go ahead and submit.

I'm interested in community or youth development. Either would make me happy. In December of 2008 through August of 2009, I worked for an urban center tutoring high school at risk youth after school and then created financial/career/college related workshops for the summer youth employment program until the grant ended. That was while I was in college. Since graduating (2010) I've been working in sales. On my PC resume I made a bullet point highlighting relevant community aspects I was able to tie in with my jobs such as creating a non profit fundraiser program, partnering with the sheriffs office to revamp their student incentive program within 250 schools, creating women's networking events, etc. I also serve on committees with the Chamber, volunteer on the employee outreach team, I annually adopt a child during the holiday season, and have done service work as a fellow for the MLK day of service. I should and WOULD do more but my job is very time consuming. I want to return back to my community work as a day job.

For languages I took high school and college level Spanish courses. I'm definitely intermediate level mostly because I live in a community in Florida which is mostly Immigrant Mexican so it's helpful. I've also begun learning French.

With those who have done the application and served do you think I should apply now or wait and get more targeted volunteer and language experience? I've reached out to my local recruiting office but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks in advance.

Offline akiramd12

• Posting Member
    • Let Chan Tell It
Re: Application Hold Off
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
Your experience looks very good! I wouldn't see an issue with applying. I would suggest emailing a recruiter and asking them. When I originally applied, I wanted to be a health volunteer but wasn't sure about me qualifications. The recruiter asked for my resume and previous experience and told me exactly what I needed to increase my chances to become a health volunteer. Unfortunately, everything that I would have needed to do would have taken a while to acquire, and I wanted to apply soon. Since I had way more experience in education and in science, I took his suggestion and applied to become a science volunteer instead. It works perfectly for me now because with the position, I can choose a secondary project in health. Best of both worlds....

But like I said, email a recruiter. They are EXTREMELY helpful and will look at your specific qualifications and tell you exactly what you need.

Good Luck!!!!!
Chantel
Science Education Invitee
Tanzania - July 2015

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »
Yeah i'd say touch base with a recruiter. They are there to help you with your application and give you suggestions on what to do be as competitive as possible. Also, do keep in mind that the Latin american countries are extremely competitive, so be open to serving in less popular areas of the world as well. Also, if you can score high enough on a French CLEP test, there are countries that take people that can speak french. So, when doing your assignment selection form, look at the openings thoroughly and see which ones would be a good match for you.  Keep an open mind to serve in all types of countries. The more flexible you are the better off you are. Good luck. :)

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:21:02 PM »
As everyone has said, speaking with a recruiter is an excellent step.

I also truly believe, especially under the current process, there's nothing wrong with applying to see what happens.  You can upload updates as you get more experience, and if you don't make it through, you can talk to the Placement Officer about specifics that you might need to be more competitive, then pretty much reapply immediately.  For MOST people, it now seems like it'll take a couple times through to get selected...(completely based off anecdotal evidence, nothing even remotely scientific about that statement)

As Shawn said, flexibility can help, and it never hurts to put 'Any country' as your third choice when you apply (assuming you really are ok going anywhere).
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline dub87

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
Thanks everyone so much! That was helpful. I speak with a recruiter on Friday! I look forward to this journey!!