What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Order of operations?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline arilynn08

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Order of operations?
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
Under the new system, does the "nomination" come before or after the interview, and what has been y'all's experience with the wait time between the "under consideration" email and the interview?

::) ::) ::) I'm beyond anxious!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Order of operations?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
The new system actually did away with the whole nomination process.

Now, after you finish all the application fun, including the assignment preference form, you hopefully will be placed under consideration for a specific program/position.  At that point it becomes basically like applying for a 'normal' job.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you will be considered for that position only and compete against the other applicants who were placed under consideration for that country as well.  If you don't get it, you will have to reapply (which I honestly think will be the norm now as the number of applicants to available positions they have is pretty high).

After being put under consideration, you will receive a soft skills questionnaire (this is relatively new - just started in the last month or two), then you'll be reviewed by a placement officer, and if competitive with the current applicant pool, you will be offered an interview.

Once the interview is complete, you will be again evaluated against all the people who were interviewed as well as against the requirements/skills needed for the open positions, and hopefully invited.  That's when all the medical/legal/dental fun begins.

It is possible to be invited to the waitlist for a country, in which case you have to do all the medical/legal/dental as well, as you will be an alternate in case one of the primary invitees drops out for whatever reason.

As for timing, it really depends (get used to this answer when asking about Peace Corps stuff!!)...I know some people who received an under consideration email the next day, and others, like myself, who received one two months after application.  I have no idea what the difference is.

Good luck with the process, and don't let the waiting discourage you!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Meghan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
I agree with everything Jeff said, except after the application and health history form (which I completed on the same day), I received an e-mail asking me to fill out the assignment preference form and the soft skills questionnare at the same time and then received the 'under consideration' email two days after that. 

I'm still waiting for an interview, its been nearly a month since I received the 'Under Consideration' e-mail, although from what I've read, it sounds like some people had to wait up to three months before their interview, while others heard back within a week or so.  Either way, I agree with you, I'm beyond anxious too!!!

An aside, has anyone on here been contacted for an interview for Ethiopia, Jan. 2016 yet? I know I've got plenty of time still, but I'm already starting to feel like it's not going to happen since its been a while since I've heard anything. 

Also, one other question to add to arilynn's, to people who have been invited, what was the wait time between your interview and your invitation?

Thanks! And good luck to all who are going through their application process, there's loads of us out there who know just how you feel!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
Heh...I actually completed the process about one week before they started the soft skills questionnaire, so I took that from the website, don't actually have any personal knowledge of it, so go with Meghan's response on that one! :)

As for timeline from interview to invitation, for me it was quick.  The interviewer more or less told me (not directly) that I would be invited at the end of the interview, but I didn't receive an official invite for exactly one week.

Again, though, as with everything, it depends.  I know of invitees who received the official invite the same day as the interview, and others who had to wait until the literal know-by date.  The long wait for me was for the interview - I didn't receive the request to interview for over two months from when I was put under consideration.

Good luck with the process!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Meghan

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff! That gives me hope (and probably everyone else out there waiting to hear back) that as long as we can make it through the wait until the interview, the rest will go a little faster. (Finger's crossed). Congrats on your invite by the way! (I won't deny I'm jealous!)

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
As you will hear a hundred times, everyone's timeline is different. I got my under consideration email about two weeks after I applied, and my interview about 10 days after that. I also was told during my interview that I would definitely be invited but my program never opened. I was allowed to pick another country without reapplying and got the invite the day after I communicated with the new placement officer, but there were a few months between my first interview, the reassignment to a new program, and the invite so my situation might be atypical, though everyone's timeline seems to be so different it is hard to find generalities.

I wouldn't say that things are faster after the interview! My interview came so soon and then nothing for so long. It has actually been even worse after the invitation. My medical and legal clearance is done and I've finished my stent teaching abroad so I'm just waiting around to depart in June!

Offline arilynn08

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:56 AM »
Thank you for all of y'all's feedback and timeline sharing. Knowing that interviews could take up to 3 months eases my mind a bit because for me, it's not even been but a month. So I guess I will keep my eyes peeled, keep talking to people about their experiences, and pray for the best. In the meantime, I will play the waiting game  :P

On a separate note, let's do some Q&A...

What made you all apply, consider applying, or serve in the Peace Corps? Also, what kind of doors/opportunities did it open up for you when you returned back to the States? (The first question is generally for everyone on this forum, but the second question is more so for the RPCV.)

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »
So, as for the first question.  While a lot of it really was the standard answers (experience a new culture, learn a new language, etc.), a big part of it was that I really wanted a career shift from what I was working in pre-PC.  I had gone with a friend to a bunch of different classes for an MPH program she was doing, and loved them, decided I wanted to go to that school, and, since I had not taken undergrad really seriously, decided to schedule an appointment with the admissions office.  During the appointment I explained my really horrible undergrad performance, and basically flatly asked if there was anything that would make me competitive.  The literal answer was, "Join the Peace Corps."

So I did.

As for your second question - PC is the reason I have the job I do, or at least the NCE.  While it didn't directly get me the job in terms of skills, the agency was only able to bring me onboard at the time I started through the NCE that a recently returned PCV receives.  Without it I without a doubt wouldn't have the career I do now.

Also, PC has been an amazing conversation starter and 'equalizer' in many of my current work tasks.  I work for an agency that is traditionally considered somewhat right-wing (although my politics are not), and I often have to be involved in meetings with different types of advocacy groups and civil rights groups.  We also get a lot of interest/reviews by NGOs that are typically left-leaning, and when they hear I'm a RPCV it literally changes their attitudes.  This is especially true when some of their reps are also RPCVs.

Although I never did actually get my MPH, I have talked to other graduate school programs and in every case (only about three), they were excited by the PC experience.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
Why i chose pc. Well, it matched up with my passion to teach english in a different country. It's something i've been wanting to do ever since i did it 3 years ago for the first time. This just lined up perfectly.  I haven't started my service yet. However, i think it will help me figure out what i want to do with my life after my two years.