What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Married couple with different skill sets  (Read 2443 times)

Offline jillandkmu

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Married couple with different skill sets
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »
Hello, I'm one half of a married couple that applied to peace corps in January for English Literacy Teaching Assistant positions in Samoa. It's been 4 months since receiving our under consideration email and finally on April 14th my application status changed to being under review. My husband's had been under review since the end of March. Our know by date is June 1 but I know that there have been many people who have already interviewed and accepted positions in Samoa, and since we haven't heard anything yet I'm fairly sure we are not going to be chosen which is a bit heartbreaking.

To be honest I'm really worried that since my husband and I have  such different skill sets it may be much harder to ever be placed to serve together. I have about 9 years solid volunteer experience (including ESL tutoring for 3 years) and several years of employment in non-profits- mainly in the field of job development for hard to serve populations. I also did AmeriCorps while in college and my BS is in Human Services. My husband is currently a middle school special education teacher and almost all of his work and volunteer experience has been with students that have severe disabilities.

Both of us have been very interested in peace corps for quite some time now, we even spoke with a recruiter in February to discuss if we needed to do anything to strengthen our application but he told us that we already have great backgrounds.. I guess it would be great to hear from the couples out there that went through the process and were able to serve? It would be awesome to hear some encouraging stories or any advice. Thank you.

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
    • Update from the Mobleys
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Married couple with different skill sets
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
I am one-half of a couple that served in Botswana (2011-2013).  It is harder for the Peace Corps to place couples as you already know.  It does sound like you both are VERY well qualified and they should be able to find a place for you both to serve together, but what if it wasn't Samoa?  How would you feel about going somewhere else?

In our case we were 99% sure we were going to Albania, and then suddenly we were heading to Africa.  They want you to be patient and flexible -- that was the mantra when we were serving.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline jillandkmu

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi! Thanks for your response. We are VERY open to serving wherever and if we got an email to serve someplace other than Samoa we would be open. So, we are flexible on that account. One of the issues we do have is timing and when we can depart. Since my husband teaches we need to let his school know if he is coming back in the fall- in fact they pretty much ask him every week if we know yet about peace corps. So if we do not get in this round we would then be locked in for another year here (my husband is against leaving in the middle of the school year) and would not be able to depart again until next June.

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »
Marion being put under consideration means that that is the country you will receive an interview and an invite to if it comes to it. With that being said you still have the whole month of may to be contacted by placement for an interview. I've heard they send out invites up to the know-by date so you still have plenty of time before your know-by date arrives. If it comes down to it, you can always re-apply for the Jan-March Departures with the apply-by date of July 1st.  In the meantime i would be getting as much relevant volunteer experience as you can. By doing this you are showing placement that you are being proactive and will make you a little bit more competitive as an applicant. Good luck guys