What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Peace Corps Staging Info  (Read 4031 times)

Offline AdrianConrad

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Peace Corps Staging Info
« on: May 25, 2015, 06:44:39 AM »
OK, so I have a staging date of June 29th. I was told this on April 17th and told to wait for more info, but have heard nothing back yet. So I am sending my country desk an e-mail to help me find out more about what I need and wanted to know if the following questions were rational:

To Whom This May Concern,
                                          My name is X and I am an invitee to Peace Corps Ethiopia with a departure date of June 29. Presently I am packing and working to ensure that all of my affairs are in order prior to departure and I have several questions to assist me with this:

1) I have heard that electrical outlets are different in Ethiopia. Is there some kind of special adapter that I should acquire to ensure that my own devices (such as my laptop) will be able to connect to these?

2) I was hoping to study up on the Amharic language prior to departure. Are there any acceptable websites or resources that you know of that could assist me with this?

Are these OK to ask?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Peace Corps Staging Info
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:00:35 AM »
Absolutely reasonable...although as a RPCV I wouldn't stress language learning until you are in country.

That being said, if you haven't already, there's almost a 100% chance of a staging and/or country group on Facebook for Ethiopia, and you might get a quicker and more accurate response there from current volunteers/staff.

Congrats and good luck!

EDIT: Here's the link for the country group: https://www.facebook.com/peacecorpsethiopia?fref=ts
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
I agree with Jeff. These look like questions that the current volunteers in your country would have more knowledge about and they will get back to you faster. The country desks get pretty busy around departure so I would avoid going to them unless you really need an offical answer to a question.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:16:26 AM »
I agree with Jeff.  Don't stress on the language learning, you will be taught it at pre service training. 

Regarding plugs:  I looked at this web site and it looks like you will be in a country that uses several plug types. http://whatplug.info/from/usa/to/ethiopia  When I served in Botswana that is the way it was.  We ended up with quite a collection of adapters.  Bring one or two, but expect to buy more when you get there.

Often out-going Volunteers will give you theirs when they leave. 
...Administrator  (RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013)

Offline AdrianConrad

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies. One thing is this, though:

Should I contact the country office to ask about staging since we will be leaving in 34 days and I have not heard anything more? Or should I just wait? I  still don't know where staging will be, only that it will be on June 29th. Last e-mail I got from my countries home office was on April 17th.

Peace,

Adrian

Edit: I made a staging group for my country but no one joined it yet. Thanks for the official Peace Corps Ethiopia page, though!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is this the one you made: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542051429406064/  ??

If not, looks like there are a few.  One way to make sure is to join the country group that I linked to below and ask in there if anyone has made a staging group.

Also, usually staging information is sent out "about" 30 days in advance, so if you have 34 days to go you might have a few more days to wait.  If you don't get it in the next week, I would definitely call/email.

I also found this, which sounds ready-made for your questions:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/105636666227475/

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
Yeah you won't get anything until approx. 25-30 days out. It will come just gotta be patient and just check your e-mail and wait for it. Staging deals with sending out the staging e-mails. So, if you are really worried about your staging e-mail, you can give staging a call or e-mail them. However, your best bet is to just sit back and relax. Don't stress over it too much.