What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Power of Attorney  (Read 4731 times)

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Power of Attorney
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
For anyone about to leave the country.  Consider making someone Power of Attorney. 

I did not do that and had two situations in which I really needed a POA back home to help deal with a financial mixup.  Hopefully you won't need someone acting as POA, but if you do you will be glad you have them.

You can set up your POA however you want to.  It can be "limited" and just give them authority over certain things.  Also, you can find the forms online I think.

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Power of Attorney
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I totally agree! On this note, does anyone have any recommendations for a website that has these type of forms?

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »
I just found a local attorney, friend of the family, to do my POA forms.  I did not try to find them online.  But I wholeheartedly agree that it is important to do, regardless of how you go about it.
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »
Here's the basic POA I used before I left. Just complete the parts in red. Also note that ANY POA you do does need to be notarized by a Notary Public and witnessed by at least one other person and be signed by both you and your Attorney-In-Fact.

Download the file either from here or below.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline jmeisenb

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »
I'm one of the over 50 crowd and will keep my house and cars, I've got retirement accounts and other investments - so ...

I'm doing two POAs.  One for bills, investments, and to take care of the house and such while I'm logistically not able.  Basic financial stuff while I'm away - more specific and more limited.  The other one is with broader more typically durable POA powers in case I'm incapacitated - I got mine from wikiform.org and then adjusted it as needed - but there are plenty of other ones. 

I'm also doing specific power of attorney docs for my state department of revenue - so example - my daughter  is using a car in my name - I'll sign a short form and send it in if she needs to sell the car.    I'll file another state form for taxes.  Should not be needed with the other, but filing the forms is not a big deal.

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:02:05 AM »
Great information folks! I'm not in the over 50 crowd, but I do have a house and other investments that will need handling while I'm gone. I had not thought about doing two separate POAs. I will definitely be looking into that now!

Liz Davis

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
You can generally find good POA forms at staples/office depot, etc. That is what i suggested to clients in my pre-PC social work job.

I do think PC should require this or at least send out POA paperwork forms for those interested in the invitation packet as a way to strongly encourage it.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
I wouldn't have thought about this! I need to do this. Although, I do not have much in my name or anything, but still.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs