What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Changing Preferences Post-"Under Consideration" Email  (Read 3000 times)

Offline jessi22

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Changing Preferences Post-"Under Consideration" Email
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
Hi All,

I am currently under consideration for a project that has a leave by date of June 2016 (no invitation to interview yet), but I am slightly regretting the sector I applied for. I was originally interested in teaching English but got a bit nervous that I did not meet the exact qualifications listed on the volunteer openings page, so I figured that I should apply for something that I was a better "fit" for. Now the more I think about it I believe teaching would be the most fulfilling sector of work for me, even if it makes my application a bit riskier.

Has anyone ever changed their preferences at this point? Is this even something that the Peace Corps allows? Also, I am bit concerned about looking flighty if I were to change my preference after submitting my choices. At the end of the day, I would be OK with the sector I applied for because I just really want to serve, but it would be extra great if I could teach..

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Offline omnombroccoli

• Posting Member
Re: Changing Preferences Post-"Under Consideration" Email
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
I'm not sure, but super interested in the answers you receive.  I'm UC, and although my e-mail didn't specify a sector, I asked for Education.  However, I'm actually qualified for another sector too, and I'd be happy with either position, but I noticed too late.  I assumed I could just mention it at my interview (if I even get an interview), but I have the same doubts as you.

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
You might want to talk to a recruiter about it- they could probably direct you to whether it's okay. I found talking to my regional office was very helpful when I was applying and they don't mind questions. :)

Offline satch3zg

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »
I requested for a change of sector after I received my first UC email. I initially got placed UC for a sector AND country I wasn't happy with - a result of putting "anything, anywhere" as my third choice. I explained my reasons in detail and very politely and they accommodated my request. As long as you are reasonable and professional (i.e., "change me to Peru because I'm not interested in going to Ethiopia" is not going to cut it). To me, your reason sounds very valid. :)