What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Application Process/Questions  (Read 1940 times)

Offline MaddySung

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Application Process/Questions
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
Hi everyone!
I am a PC applicant, but before I officially apply I had some questions.
Is there a specific deadline I have to apply before? I am a senior in college, and I want to leave in the Fall of 2016.  If I finish my application now, is that early enough? Do I need to tell them when the earliest I can leave?
And how long does the process take? How long until acceptance and then until departure?
Sorry for all the questions, I can't seem to find all the information I want...
Thanks!!
-Maddy

Offline jessi22

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Application Process/Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:05:56 AM »
Yes, you do still have enough time! What you should do is search the volunteer openings found here : http://www.peacecorps.gov/openings/

These openings will tell you generally when projects depart and when you need to apply by. Currently projects that depart around June of 2016 have application deadlines of October 1st. The Peace Corps website has a ton of information--you just have to dig, but I know that it can be a bit daunting.

Once you complete the application which take around an hour (assuming you have already written your essay and made a resume), Peace Corps will have you fill out a few additional forms which includes submitting project preferences and giving them the earliest date you are available to leave.

Time from acceptance to departure can vary wildly from person to person, location to location, sector to sector. I suggest looking up Peace Corps timelines that are more specific to your interests which are available all over the internet on blogs, wiki, etc.

Also, consider contacting a recruiter. They can help answer any questions you have and give you more details!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Application Process/Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
I realize this was posted a few weeks ago, but some comments from my own experiences.

Depending on the program you want to apply to, you DO have to apply by a certain date.  As jessi22 stated, that opening page will tell you the dates for specific programs.

That being said, the do offer invites and interviews on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply the better off you would possibly be.  THAT being said, it is still very possible that you could apply right when a position opens, but not hear anything up until just before the know-by date after you've been put under consideration; at the same time you are hearing of people being interviewed and/or invited for the same country.  It really is a 'depends' kind of application process and your mileage may vary greatly.

Jessi's (assuming it's Jessi!) suggestion about contacting a recruiter is probably the best advice a prospective applicant can get - they can really help you tailor your resume and let you know what they are looking for for certain programs.

As for all the other questions - it really is a matter of depends (get used to hearing that!).  Some people in my staging group found out only a few months after applying, others didn't find out anything until literally the know-by date.  You are pretty much guaranteed to have four months between the know-by date and the staging date if you do get invited...but that is a busy four months, with medical, dental, etc. having to be done (I think it's four months...might be slightly more or less).  Due to various reasons, the process itself can also vary, but under today's process, usually takes no more than a year.  Medical issues after invitation can bump that up (for me, it will be two years until I leave), but in general, if you get cleared to go to your initial invitation, then about a year at most (as a result of them posting positions a year ahead of time).

Good luck!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17