What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Mental health  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Bode

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Mental health
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:25:17 AM »
I'm going into my sophomore year of college as an Elementary Education major and English minor and I really want to apply my senior year so I can hopefully join right after graduation. During April of my freshman year I had an incident that I'm not really sure how to explain away, since I have no idea what happened. Long story short, I was in a car with a few friends and I remember drinking a small amount before handing it away and I instantly blacked out only to find myself in a hospital and being marked down for a suicide attempt after apparently threatening self harm and I woke up with that story plus a nice little "disturbing the peace" citation. I have no recollection of anything, and I'm not depressed, because because my school is I guess liable? I had to attend 3 counseling sessions for suicide.

She asked me the normal questions about self harm then some others regarding family, school, etc. and seemed satisfied that I wasn't suicidal to the point where she considered trying to just do the 3rd one over the phone if we didn't have time. I'm concerned about what she wrote on her toes though. Before the session they give you a questionnaire where they point questions like "Have you ever had trouble sleeping, or do you feel at a satisfactory weight, etc." And I answered "0" or no to all of them, and she confronted me on it saying no one ever puts 0. I simply said that if she had anything specific I'd be happy to answer, but that lot of the questions were leading, and there was no middle ground.

I'm worried that she might think I was lying or something, but then again, I tried to explain that most people in counseling probably had different circumstances than an interesting immediate blackout and surprise suicide attempt. My concern is that the peace corp will take this one incident of my freshman year and not clear me medically. I heard that after 3 years you don't have to release mental health, is this true?

If anyone has an insight or stories, I'd really appreciate hearing them  ;D

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Mental health
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Generally as the PC staff says these"mental health" issues may mean that the places you can be assigned may be limited.
Steve

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
I don't have personal experience with this situation, but I've read multiple stories from PCVs with mental health hospital admissions. They weren't discounted immediately, but they were required to go to a few sessions with a psychiatrist and have them sign off on their mental health. Some placement listings also list that they can't accommodate "ongoing mental health support" under the medical conditions list, so you might be restricted from a few countries.

Offline mhemmen621

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
I am going through the same thing - I was diagnosed bipolar while I was going through a divorce over 5 years ago. I have no symptoms now, and have been stable on meds for over 3 years. I had just gotten my mental health personal statement and questionnaire tasks, and before I could even submit the info, the nurse sends me a message saying she wants to pull me from the country I already received an official invite to!!!!

My country IS one of the countries with mental health support, so I don't know what the issue is. I am going to fight it - I'm having another formal evaluation done, now that I have been stable for so long, and give that to the nurse.

I just don't know how they feel the need to jump the gun before they even have your complete history or have the letters and info from your current doctors?!?!?!?