What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Under Consideration  (Read 2850 times)

Offline starlight

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Under Consideration
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »
I recently received an e-mail that I was being placed under consideration for a country, departing next year. The country in question is not one that I ever considered going to, and the current openings available are not in the same areas for which I had hoped to be assigned to (I was told I was placed under consideration for this county because I had selected "I would go anywhere" as my third preference on the application. My experience and skills are all within 3-4 other areas of which there are openings in other Peace Corps countries, leaving around the same time frame. I have reached out to the recruiter of the country of which I am under consideration expressing my concerns (but as the weekend is approaching, I don't expect a response before Monday).

My question is, has anyone else been in a similar position? If you are open about your concerns of a program in one country, are you likely to be placed under consideration for another? Though it has always been my plan to apply to the Peace Corps, I have the feeling that the program that I am currently under consideration for is not the right one for me, and one that I could never be happy in (if that makes sense).

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Under Consideration
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
It can happen that they change you - they offered me a UC for Botswana, and while I hear it is a great country, I didn't want to go back to Africa.  I explained my reasoning to the Placement Officer, and they switched me to something else.

That being said, and without knowing any of your background or experience, try not to rule anything out based on expectations - the first time I did Peace Corps, the only thing I was sure of was that I didn't want anywhere hot, and I definitely didn't want Africa.  I ended up invited to West Africa, right below the Sahara desert, just a few degrees from the equator, and I was not happy.  I was convinced by family and friends to go for it anyway, and it was great.  Wouldn't trade that for anything.  Literally the defining experience of my life.

Peace Corps has a lot of applicants, and while, based on my experience, they will work with you if they can, I am not sure that they can always find another placement depending on volume.  Hope it works out, though!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline doggone

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
Starlight, did you contact anyone about your concerns? If so, what did you hear back?

I am essentially in the same boat. I was just asked to interview for a program in a country I would really rather not go to. I don't want to lessen my chances of being considered for another program in any way... Haven't decided what I'm going to do.

Offline starlight

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
I did hear back! I was able to send in a list of three new preferences, and am now under consideration for my top choice on the new list. I essentially explained why I didn't think the country that I placed under consideration for first was a good fit, and they were really great about working with me to determine countries that were a better fit for what I was looking for!