What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Surgery?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline aaron10

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Surgery?
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »
Does anyone have any experience having surgery before going to the Peace Corps? The pre-service nurse said I have to wait two years after my last surgery to be able to go. That seems a little long to me. It was a cosmetic surgery so there isn't even an underlying medical reason.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
Re: Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
How specific were you when you asked your nurse for clarification? This isn't a blanket restriction for all surgeries - after all, PC recommends that volunteers have their wisdom teeth extracted prior to service. If it was a complex procedure, they want to make sure that you are free of complications.

Offline aaron10

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »
How specific were you when you asked your nurse for clarification? This isn't a blanket restriction for all surgeries - after all, PC recommends that volunteers have their wisdom teeth extracted prior to service. If it was a complex procedure, they want to make sure that you are free of complications.

I told the nurse what I had done and mentioned that it was also an outpatient procedure. After the nurse told me two years I emailed my surgeon as well as some of the most experienced surgeons in the type of surgery I had and asked how long until, in their view the patient is 100% medically cleared and completely healed and they all said a year and some said even less than that. I am just really confused by the length of time they gave me.

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
Ask your nurse if you can have your doctor write a letter stating what he/she has said. She can create a MAP task for that and the doctor who does the medical paperwok approval can read that. Don't be afraid to ask the nurse questions about these situations.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:43:30 PM »
This was over 10 years ago, but I had surgery before leaving, and I was put on a 24 month hold if I remember correctly...it was also outpatient, but not elective.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »
Here are some of the medical clearance guidelines:

http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/messages/2629/2055133.html

Deferment varies by procedure. For instance, I had a septoplasty, which is an outpatient procedure, and the waiting period after that procedure is only 6 months.