What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Medical Clearance--for the uninsured  (Read 2026 times)

Offline jmilcent

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Medical Clearance--for the uninsured
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
First, thank you to all the postings on this site. Incredibly helpful!

I have been accepted to serve as a PCV but need to go through medical clearance. I just received my tasks and I didn't realize the cost would be huge for someone uninsured. I've seen that there are dentists that do work free for PCVs and made a few inquiries (if you've had any success please share!). Additionally, is there any other cost saving methods for someone without insurance?

Thanks in advance!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Medical Clearance--for the uninsured
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
Go to free or reduced cost clinics and ask. Because I was under the income threshold, I was able to get all of my labwork done at my local university clinic for $1 (I was not a student, the clinic was open to non-students as well). But seriously, check out schools, any local low-income clinics. I might even try a free sexual health clinic that does STD screening. Get all of your receipts. (They used to reimburse some of the cost).

For the dentist, I went to one on their list. He was great, very supportive of the Peace Corps, understood that I had no money and tried to give me the cheapest options possible (while the x-rays and exams were free, he did charge for the 1 filling PC insisted that I get).

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
Another option is VA clinics.  There is an allowance in law for this to happen, but people's success has varied widely - including at the same clinic.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline willfoley

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
I've heard the VA clinics are a thing but they were totally resistant when I tried.

I did find the free/reduced clinic in my area and that was super useful but I'm an AmeriCorps member so I don't technically have to declare my living stipend as an income.

The international college of dentistry was super helpful for that stuff too!