What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Veterans Day - thanks for your service  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
  • PC Status: RPCV
Veterans Day - thanks for your service
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:24 AM »
To all Veterans out there -- thanks for your service. 

There are some Peace Corps Volunteers who also are veterans of the Armed Forces.  I am one of those.  It gives one an interesting perspective having served in an organization which is there to wage war, and in an organization whose sole purpose is fostering peace.   Both serve their place; there are similarities and there are differences.  I don't agree with those who say someone serving in the Peace Corps should qualify for the same benefits as those who served in the military, they are not the same situation in either risk or commitment.  However, we should not minimize the voluntary sacrifice of those who go overseas, leave family and friends behind, give up the income and comfort of life in America, move to a poor country, learn a foreign language and do good things while representing the US.

Here is a link to an intersting article in Huff Post on service:  CLICK HERE

I would like to hear your thoughts...
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Veterans Day - thanks for your service
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »
I thought the article you linked to was very interesting. My sister is married to an active duty army man, so I asked her what she thought of the article. Her first comment was to be irritated about his comments about interrupting a "normal" progression of life. She says "Normal is a setting on a washing machine. Not everyone goes to college either." Then her comments about the Peace Corps service: "Also, Peace Corps goes BEYOND service to country! They go into service to the GLOBAL community, which is a bit of a higher calling than to some arbitrary lines on a map." So glad I have a super supportive family!!

For my personal views: I tend to agree with the article that there should be some recognition of national service, but most definitely not on the same scale as recognition for military veterans. I quite simply don't have the guts to go into a combat situation, and those who do deserve to be honored and recognized with our utmost respect.

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Veterans Day - thanks for your service
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
I'm with you, jimanzak. I prefer not to be shot at (I mean, who does???). But I found another way to help out my country and the world as well.

I would never claim to have helped my nation more than a soldier. The dedication and risk involved are like nothing else I know of. In fact, I would argue that their sacrifices are what make Peace Corps service possible on many levels.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council