What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Ability to Complete Online Coursework While On Assignment Abroad  (Read 1808 times)

Offline freckledfroggy

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
I hope this is in the right place! I'm curious as to whether anyone has any firsthand (or, I suppose, anecdotal) experience with completing coursework for a Master's level degree while on assignment. I'm still in the application phase, but I'm hoping to work in Rwanda, and I'm unsure whether my access to the internet, time outside of my work, etc. will allow me to complete anything towards my degree in tandem with my service in the Peace Corps. Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Ability to Complete Online Coursework While On Assignment Abroad
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
It's obviously different in different countries, but speaking from my experience in Ghana....I definitely had the TIME to do it (if I wanted to), but just as definitely did not have the internet connection to do it.  Also, while there was a lot of downtime, you never knew when something would come up and I wouldn't want to have to be meeting deadlines, etc. while serving.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Ability to Complete Online Coursework While On Assignment Abroad
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:37:35 PM »
I completed a year of undergraduate online courses while I was in Bulgaria, but Bulgaria has some of the fastest, cheapest internet in the world, and access in my location was not an issue. In other sites, where people were using 3g dongles to access internet, it would have been. Time was not an issue during the winter. I was a youth development volunteer, so my summers were rather packed, but that worked well with a traditional university schedule. I would definitely recommend taking a lighter load than you would take if you were working in the states.

Of course, if you really have your stuff together, you could download copies of articles and books when you are in your country's capital every month, and then complete the reading and work mostly offline at your site. We were given two personal travel days a month to access larger cities nearby our site. Some volunteers needed these days to do basic shopping, complete banking transactions etc. Depending on your location, you may be able to access the internet weekly or biweekly without disturbing your schedule. Of course, it would really have to change the way you interact with your studies if you are currently highly dependent on internet research.

You may also consider independent study with a professor that has experience with distance learning through the mail.