What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: When should I expect an "Under Consideration" email?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
When should I expect an "Under Consideration" email?
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
I submitted my application, medical questionnaire, and soft skills questionnaire on Sunday, September 13th. Does anyone know when I should be expecting an "Under Consideration" email, or any other type of email? I've looked at timelines, but I wasn't sure. Is the process quicker or slower based on what program you are being considered for? Like if you're being considered for a program that would depart sooner than another one, will you go through the consideration and interview steps more quickly?

I ask this because my first choice in programs, an Art Teacher at a High School for the Deaf in Ghana (the only program that I meet the requirements on), has a deadline application date of Oct. 1st and a know by date of Dec. 1st. My second choice, I have no idea of at this point because it's in the Ukraine and I'm told they're still trying to work out with the government on sending volunteers to that country. My third choice was anywhere they would need me.

If anyone could tell me how long it took them to hear back after submitting everything, that would be awesome. I know I just put in my application a few days ago, but since I don't really know when I'm supposed to hear back, I check my email religiously then get disappointed when I don't see anything there. If I can just get some idea of when other applicants received their consideration email, I could get a rough idea and not worry so much.

I also know that it's possible that I may not even make it to the "under consideration" stage. Could anyone tell me what would take me out of the running that early? Would it be straight up disqualifiers such as medical conditions (which I don't have any) or not meeting expectations?

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm just nervous. I've done my research front and back of the Peace Corps job expectations, training, and service. The only area I don't know much about is the application process.

Thank you!

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
Re: When should I expect an "Under Consideration" email?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »
Hello...
I also just recently applied and am now being UC for a June 2016 departure (you may have seen my recent post). I didn't get UC for my top preferences. But I was placed UC about 3 days after I submitted my application. Did you list only specific preferences on your sheet, or did you also say "anywhere/anytime"?

I think the reviewers would look at your app before looking at the later-departing positions. The priority right now is for those leaving sooner (so the Oct 1 deadline/ Dec 1 know-by).

Keep us updated on what happens! Sorry I can't be more helpful; I'm practically in the same boat (just a bit ahead in UC stage).

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no set time for an applicant to be placed under consideration and the application process is different for everyone. The only defined dates that you can go by are the Apply By and Know By dates.  Since you have already submitted your application and additional materials, you must now wait. Patience is important and all part of the PC application process.

Best of luck!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
As others have said, there is no set timeline for being placed Under Consideration. I've heard PC prioritizes countries with early apply-by dates, but that didn't seem to be the case for me. I had all my application materials submitted on August 10th, and received my UC email on August 21st, and this was for a program with an application deadline of January 1st. Some people wait months between application and the UC email, though. You could hear back any time between now and the Know-by date (December 1st for this program).

Even though you feel this is the only program you are qualified for, PC might not agree. I hope you left go anywhere/do anything on your assignment selection form, because PC sometimes makes some surprising placement decisions!