What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Length of time for response concerns  (Read 5603 times)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Length of time for response concerns
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
So I already did a post about me waiting for my "under consideration" email, but I have some follow up questions to just put my mind at ease. I know that the average response for being under consideration is about 1-2 weeks after the application is put in. I'm rounding my second week and still haven't heard anything yet. I've heard of people who got a response from 2 days after putting in their application to three plus weeks. I was just wondering why some people hear back so quickly and why others would take so long. Is it because some are more competitive candidates than others or is the time difference due to something else entirely? Also, since I know that not everyone is put under consideration, would they receive an email telling them so? Like should I expect any sort of communication going yay or nay?

Again, sorry, I'm just getting nervous that I haven't heard anything yet. I'm still under the 2 weeks after submitting all of my info, but I would just like to know what would happen if it takes longer. Also, what would be the grounds of an applicant not making being initially considered? Would it be due to medical issues, qualifications, or that soft skills questionnaire that scared the crap out of me?

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
Re: Length of time for response concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
Some people who are great applicants end up waiting months from the application date until when they get a UC email. Applicants who indicated a country and sector preference sometimes get placed UC pretty early, but if you put that you'd go anywhere and/or do anything, they might be keeping you in their back pocket to see where they need people later. I applied on August 7th and heard back August 21st, so exactly 2 weeks later, but I said I'd only be interested in health positions (I have a masters of public health), and I indicated a preference for Cambodia (although I also said I'd go anywhere).

It might also be related to the application deadline of some of the positions you are being considered for. Right now they are focusing on May/June departures, which have a Know-By date of December 1st. They might be placing applicants for July-Sept positions on the back burner for now.

I do a lot of creeping on the PC Reddit, and there are a lot of people who waited months to get a UC email, but they still ended up moving forward with interviews and possibly invitations.

If you don't make it to the UC stage, it could have been a mixture of medical and qualifications. The only medical thing that would hinder you right now would be the country list that was generated after you completed your health history form. If your list was shortened for some reason, it might make placements a little more difficult. Placement Officers can't see anything beyond that list, though (HIPAA regulations). From what I've seen, anyone who meets the basic qualifications and doesn't have a condition that automatically precludes service will be placed UC at some point.

If you aren't placed UC, you will receive an email at some point advising you that you were not selected at this time, but encouraging you to reapply. That email could come at any time.

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
Thank you for the response. I just needed some reassurance. It's just kind of nerve-racking, trying to plan out the next few years of my life and not knowing for sure yet. That's why I love this forum. There are others in the same boat. Also, if you or anyone else has any insights, my choices were:
1: High School Art teacher for the deaf in Ghana
2: A Youth Development Volunteer in the Ukraine
3: Anywhere

I specifically noted that while I was qualified for the Art teacher position, there weren't really any other positions in the educational field that I qualified for. However, I did have work experiences that would qualify me for some of the Youth in Development positions. So, if the Ukraine (which I didn't know was on hold when I applied to it) doesn't work out, I could fit in that sector anywhere else.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »
From what I understand, Youth Development is one of the more competitive sectors (only 9% of positions). That's not to say that it is fruitless applying to that sector, but it may be more difficult to get placed. May I ask what your education/experience background is?

It might be advantageous to get some volunteer tutoring experience. This would open up a lot of the education positions. Since 38% of PC volunteers are in the education sector, it may really boost your chances of getting placed.

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »
My experience sums up to: about 12 years of nannying and babysitting, 3 years of being a Community advisor (which gives me the leg up in Youth and Development), a degree in painting and drawing with a minor in English. I've done what could be qualified as tutoring, but it was all in art, which is why I applied to the Art Teacher position. It's really the only one I'm qualified for. The Community Advisor gives me more than enough experience in dealing with crisis youth, some levels of counseling, people from all backgrounds, and planing programs specifying on diversity and education.

I would love to apply to more of the education sector, but I'm not officially qualified for it.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 06:53:26 AM »
A lot of the education positions say you need a degree in *any* discipline with a desire to teach. I definitely think you're selling yourself a little short. Here are just a few of the current education openings that you meet the minimum requirements for. I didn't go through every listing, but you qualify for more than you think!

http://www.peacecorps.gov/openings/3491br/
http://www.peacecorps.gov/openings/3661br/
http://www.peacecorps.gov/openings/3714br/

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 12:18:46 AM »
I still don't think I'm qualified for those positions. All of them require a bachelors degree in Art or science. Mine is a bachelors of fine arts. I wish it was the same but a BA equals English, history, etcetera. Whereas a BFA is straight up Art. I was told by a recruiter that my minor in English could come in handy but since it wasn't my major, I would need the 30+ hours of volunteering under English or tutoring, which I don't have.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
The program I am being considered for required a MA/MS in public health, but I have a MPH (Master of Public Health). It is a different degree, with a differently structured program, but it still qualifies. They list BA/BS in order to establish that they want a four-year degree, but those aren't hard and fast rules.

I don't mean to push the issue, but I've read about a number of people getting invited to programs that they didn't necessarily think they were qualified for based on the posting. PC makes weird decisions.

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:27 PM »
Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while. The stupid charger to my laptop broke so I've been having to use my iPad(which has spotty wifi reception where I live) until my new charger comes in. I have received my under consideration email, so that's a plus! I'm being put under consideration for Ukraine, which I'm super excited about. The only thing is, that it would be leaving September of 2016 with a know by date of March 1st, which means the steps can be slowed to a halt compared to the program with a know by date of Dec 1st that I initially hoped for.

I do have a few follow up questions though. First, am I correct in assuming that the next step, the invitation to interview, could happen at any time between now and March. Or, because my application for this program is technically "early" I could still expect a response about scheduling an interview sooner rather than later? And, I know that not everyone makes it to interviewing, so what at this stage could disqualify, or move me forward? Like, is this where they contact my references?
Many thanks.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »
My program's know-by date is also March 1st, and I had my interview on September 9th. Your interview request could come at any time. I've heard about applicants being interviewed days before the know-by date and receiving an invitation. References are contacted at the time you schedule your interview. The only things that lead to getting or not getting an interview are the things you've already submitted (resume, statement, transcripts if requested).

I don't think anyone knows why PC does much of anything... I can only assume that they choose to interview people who seem more competitive earlier, but that's just speculation. I think it might partially depend on the size of the program (more likely to invite earlier for programs with 35 spots than programs with 5 spots), and a lot of it is probably just personal preference by the PO assigned to that position.