What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: *Help* Too emotional at interview?  (Read 6100 times)

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
*Help* Too emotional at interview?
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I just realized something. So I have my interview coming up really soon. I have looked over the topics and thought about how I'd respond to them, but I have not been "practicing" my answers because I want to come off as genuine as possible in my responses (not scripted), because I am very passionate about this opportunity.

This morning, I was thinking about answering my motivation for joining the Peace Corps and how I would respond to that. This answer I did spend more time on, because I need to get my point across about why/how passionate I am about this service. So, I was telling myself out loud why I want to join... and then I couldn't contain myself, I started tearing up, got a ball in my throat and started crying (not severely, but noticeably). I am even tearing up thinking about it. It is because I so deeply care about this opportunity and this is what I want to do with my life, with every ounce of my being. I NEVER thought I would start crying about this throughout the whole process thus far.

I can't even remember the last time I cried, and I am one of the most emotionally stable (if not the most) of the people I know. Now I am so concerned that I might get emotional during the interview... I would really hate to come off as emotionally unstable when I know that I can handle the harshest of conditions. Again, I very rarely get this emotional, but I really couldn't help it when I started talking about why I want to join and what it means to me. Right now, I see this as the most important opportunity of my life.

Does anyone have advice about this...Will I hurt my chances if I can't hold in these emotions (again, my biggest fear is coming off as emotionally unstable, because it simply isn't accurate)? My interview is quickly approaching...

Amanda? Jeff? Anyone else?

Thanks~

kerv

--

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: *Help* Too emotional at interview?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
Emotions are something that you can't always control and it's difficult to say whether or not it will hinder your chances of being selected. I think it's important to be yourself and genuine throughout the interview. Regardless, I think it's important to be prepared and know your qualifications as well as the assignment you are interviewing for over anything else. If the interview is going well it should appear to be more conversational than an interrogation. 

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
Thanks PCVolunteer,

I definitely agree with what you're saying about being prepared. And I have been looking over my resume, the job description, and relevant PC info like crazy.

My emotions totally caught me off guard when I started verbalizing my motivation and reasoning for wanting to join. I don't want to sound too cliché, but I really feel like this is what I was meant to do and where I am meant to be in my life more than anywhere else... like somehow my whole life was leading up to this point, and now I am closer than I ever thought I would be to actually doing it.

I am optimistic and hopeful.

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
I don't think you will have any issues but in my interview the first question was specifically asking why I wanted to join the Peace Corps. It appears you are very passionate about serving but you will be encouraged to keep your answers short in the first part of the interview as the second part with the situational questions are essentially deemed more important. Not to say you can't give an extended answer but your Placement Officer will be looking for a straight to the point answer without the extra fluff.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
The first question I was asked was "Why do you want to join the Peace Corps." You don't want to set the stage by getting emotional and not being able to compose yourself in order to answer further questions. This question shouldn't be one of the most extensive you answer. They want to know your motivated, yes, but they also want to know you're prepared. There is nothing wrong with practicing your answers, and in this case, I would recommend that you do script something for this specific question. Remember, this is a job interview. If you come in being overly emotional and not having answers ready (especially for the points specifically listed in your interview confirmation), you will come off as unprepared.

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
Thank you for the responses!

Turns out, it was a false alarm. I was easily able to contain myself in the interview, which I had this morning. I think my earlier emotional state was because I was coming from a very deep part of my heart and soul, in speaking to myself about why I wanted to join. And I wrote that initial post RIGHT AFTER it happened (still, it was interesting- as I typically don't express this kind of emotion outwardly).

I had no trouble at all at withholding my emotions during the interview this morning. I didn't even think about getting emotional (I think my very rational side easily overpowered any concern I had about getting emotional).

I do not want to "jinx" myself, but I feel pretty confident about the interview. I will update when I receive a response. But feel free to ask questions if you have any.

And wow! What a relief. I finally feel like this big weight has been lifted, I don't have to think about the interview anymore! I literally spent all my free time thinking about it (and even my not-so-free time), and now it is done! Last night was the most difficult sleep I have had in a long while. I went to bed way earlier than normal, thinking that I should be well rested for the interview. And then didn't even fall asleep til WAY later than normal. I probably only had 3-4 hours of sleep.

For now, I wait.

Thank you Amanda, Jeff, and PCVolunteer for answering previous questions and for providing support.

~kerv

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Awesome! I wish I felt that confident after my interview! Sounds like you aced it!

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
WOW.

I just received an invitation.

I am really doing it! My life is about to change.

I am pretty speechless. It has been probably 10 minutes since I opened the invitation email.
So happy that a decision was made this immediately.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Kerv,

Congrats on the invite!  Togo? :)

Sorry I didn't log in in time to provide a response to your question, but looks like it all worked out!  I'm currently in my second week of PST (Pre-Service Training) for my second time in the PC, so haven't been able to log on as much as I'd like...

Good luck to you with all the paperwork you now have to do!  It's a pain, but so very worth it!

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
Kerv, that's so great to hear! Congratulations!

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
Thank you guys!

Jeff, where & in which sector are you serving now? How's it going?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
Kerv,

I'm currently in Macedonia in the Community Development sector.  The PC website had all different positions listed on it when I applied, but once we got in-country they basically told us that in reality it is just CD and TEFL.

So far so good!  I think all volunteers say this about their placements, but I'm loving it here.  Beautiful country, very different from West Africa.  I'm really glad I did Ghana first, then this, but I'm glad I decided to actually follow-thru and apply a second time.

PST is just as much of a pain as I remembered from last time, but at least I know that once PST is over we get some of our freedom back...right now it is REALLY busy and everything is completely (overly) scheduled for us...

You'll see ;)
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17