What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Couple applicants, medical conditions jigsaw  (Read 2497 times)

Offline MxPxP86

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Couple applicants, medical conditions jigsaw
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Hello all. We're a couple that just applied. We did the medical application, and our results really did a number to the countries that we were looking to apply for; I didn't have one country available, she didn't have another, and in the end only one of our top 3 choices were available.

Thing being, our medical differences are minimal - she has sports-related asthma that hardly ever needs an inhaler for (and doesn't, unless she's long-distance running and even then is not necessary), and I had some conjunctivitis (cleared out like it would, and it happened well before the "recent time frame" the application notes). I don't see either of these being so crucial as to exclude countries (and that's my opinion, of course there might be details I don't know that make these situations more critical).

I heard back from our recruiter with a couple options - call the nurse phone line, or put it in comments that make note of our opinion concerning medical details.

Have other peace corps workers had experience with this issue? Any insight to the process?

Thank you for your help!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
Re: Couple applicants, medical conditions jigsaw
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
PC is extremely conservative when placing applicants with a history of asthma, even if they haven't needed treatment in years. Many people have tried to appeal the restrictions based on asthma, and I haven't heard of anyone succeeding. Even if your wife rarely needs an inhaler now, circumstances in country may exacerbate her symptoms. Her list is likely non-negotiable.

As for yours, the country list is filtered automatically, and no one actually reviews the list up-front. It could be that if you convince someone to review your medical form, your options may be opened... but don't get your hopes up.

Placing couples is very difficult, so you're going to need to be very flexible with placement. For all applicants, it is usually advisable to leave at one of the preference spaces "go anywhere", and this is even more critical when applying as a couple.

Offline MxPxP86

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
Interesting. Good info to know. Well, we'll try some avenues, and we'll definitely be including "go anywhere" as a preference. The asthma I'm not so surprised about, but I am more surprised that pink eye could make much of a difference.

Thank you for your response!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:36 AM »
It was probably just because you indicated you had received treatment for a certain body system, and it automatically filtered out countries that cannot provide support for that system. I didn't include any routine illnesses on my HHF.