What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Should I email my PO to check in?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline jessi22

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Should I email my PO to check in?
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »
I interviewed at the beginning of July for a program with an application deadline of Oct 1st/know by date of December 1st. Two weeks after the interview I sent an updated resume based on a slight change in jobs, but since then I have not had any communication with my PO. I know this is the anxiety getting to me, but I kind of want to email to check in if only to remind her that I am still alive and still thinking about/motivated about this position.

Is this a bad idea? Have others done this before?

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Should I email my PO to check in?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
You are more than welcome to keep in contact with your PO, however, keep in mind with the application deadline recently closing the majority of interviews will be taking place from now until the know by date.  It's typical for any job to check on your application, but it might be beneficial to include something relevant when you e-mail them rather than a "hey, where do I stand?" and how course, always be professional with all communications.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:10 AM »
There aren't set guidelines for the amount of contact that is appropriate. This will vary by PO. When I interviewed, my PO encouraged me to email him periodically to update him or "just to check in." I also recently watched a virtual event with a PO and recruiter where they said that contacting your PO to mention any country-specific research you've been doing and reiterating your interest is a good move (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKvcuebSBqE). You might want to mention a few things about the country and sector that you've learned and that interest you. You can also ask if there are any additional materials they need from you, if you want to make your email sound more purposeful.

If your program has an October 1st application deadline, I think it might be appropriate to send an email, just to make sure you're still on their radar.

Offline jessi22

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
Thanks for the input!

I think I will definitely craft something concise yet purposeful to keep my name in the game, so to speak. December can't come soon enough...