What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Completed interview, not yet nominated--when should we worry?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline devourtheway

• Posting Member
    • Devour the Way
  • PC Status: Applicant
I'm currently under consideration for TEFL service in Kyrgyz (my #2 choice (and in a lot of ways actually my #1)!), and I had my interview yesterday afternoon. I was terribly nervous for it, and frankly, I'm not so sure of how it went. Though I do feel prepared for service and believe I have the tenacity necessary, the interview made me wonder if I really have the experience Peace Corps is looking for. I've led a pretty boring life so far.

Anyway--my recruiter/interviewer mentioned at the end of the interview that she'd received both my references, but I've not yet received notice of a nomination. My application status reads simply "Interview Completed - Additional Assessment." The apply-by was 10/01, and the know-by is 12/01. Interviews for the position are still ongoing--I seem to recall from the signup doc that they run through 10/26 or 10/27, and of course it's only been a day... but then I hear from people who received a nomination within an hour of their interview and have to wonder: is this a bad sign?

TL;DR: How long after the interview would it be common to receive a nomination if you're going to get one? Is there really even any "standard" range?

I know that patience will be an essential virtue if I am invited to serve, but I wouldn't mind supplementing it with info from anyone more familiar with the application process!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Completed interview, not yet nominated--when should we worry?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:38 AM »
First off - congrats on getting to the interview stage!

As for the nominations that you might have read about, that was a part of the old process before the change a year or two ago.  Instead of nominations, you now get placed 'Under Consideration' prior to your interview.  After the interview, you will either get an invitation, be placed on the waitlist, or just told that you weren't selected.  This happens at any time from now until the very last moment of the know-by date (one of those annoying 'it depends' type PC-situations).

In my current group, we had people that received their invitation the same day, and others who literally waited three months (interviewed early, but were notified late).

Also, as a clarification, under the old system, the recruiters did the interviews and 'nominated' you to the placement officers.  Nowadays, you actually interview with the placement officers themselves and the recruiters don't have much to do with the process once you submit your application.

Good luck!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline devourtheway

• Posting Member
    • Devour the Way
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff! I'm glad they've streamlined the new process so much.

One other question that probably doesn't have a definite answer: my interviewer/placement officer emailed me a list of links and resources toward the end of the interview. I have some follow-up questions about some of them, but none of them are exactly urgent. Would it be appropriate and a good sign of interest to email her to ask, or more likely to make me a nuisance?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »
Personally, I don't think it ever hurts to show interest.  That being said, just keep it short and to the point.  They do get busy...and realize it could be a while for a response...

Just out of curiosity, links about the country?
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
I have not heard of POs sending resources to candidates before. What kind of resources were these? It sounds like a good sign to me! Your PO opened the door to this discussion, so I think it would be completely appropriate to send follow-up questions to the resources linked. Expressing interest in the materials will also look good on your part. My PO encouraged me to contact him regularly in the interim between the interview and invitation/rejection. I think as long as your emails have purpose (Not "just checking in"), it is perfectly fine to contact them.

Offline devourtheway

• Posting Member
    • Devour the Way
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »
Amanda, Jeff—She sent several links about a few aspects of either life in Kyrgyz or the internal structure of PC that I'd asked about, some standard stuff from Peacecorps.gov that I'd already reviewed, a few blogs I hadn't run across before, and links to the language-training curriculum and materials for both Russian and Kyrgyz.

And it must have been a fairly good sign, because I received and accepted my invitation Friday afternoon! Thanks for all replies, guys!

Now for the real challenge: medical clearance.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 12:32:49 AM »
Congrats!

That was a quick turnaround on the invite!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17