What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Issues with biking  (Read 1818 times)

Offline ericvangucht

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Issues with biking
« on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
Hello, so I have been invited to serve, but I have always had issues balancing on a bicycle. I do walk everywhere, though - and I mean everywhere. I mentioned this to the interviewer, and hopefully I am able to learn if I accept, but that's my biggest fear. I don't know how to balance on a bicycle, let alone ride one. Do you think they would look down on this?

Please help me. I'm so nervous about this.

Offline kerv

• Posting Member
Re: Issues with biking
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »
Where are you serving?

I feel like there was a question that asked if one is physically able to ride a bicycle (i think in the medical history form); i could be wrong. Can you learn how to bike? The reason I ask "where are you serving," is because in some places you will rely on biking miles a day to get to and from your home/work/location. This would occur in a place like Africa (my assignment), where it is stated that biking is essential.

This could be and most likely is different for various locations… I imagine you will have opportunities to avoid a bicycle-necessitating location/situation….

Offline ericvangucht

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
It would be in Burkina Faso. I have friends that are willing to teach me. I put it on my form, still got an interview, and mentioned it to the interviewer. It's not that I don't want to, I just have never been able to balance properly on one. If I'm able to walk, I will do that - and I do it all the time in my hometown.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:32:54 AM »
While I can't speak specifically for Burkina, I was next door in Ghana, and while we were issued bicycles, I never once used it.  I was able to walk pretty much anywhere I needed to be...even if it was a couple of miles away.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline ericvangucht

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:03:30 AM »
I am planning on contacting them tomorrow just in case. Hopefully, it can be worked out.