What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Already UC - Waiting for Response  (Read 1995 times)

Offline owen.alis

• Posting Member
    • Alissa In The Peace Corps
  • PC Status: Applicant
Already UC - Waiting for Response
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
Hi!

So I'm new to the site, but I have s couple questions after reading some other posts. I was placed under consideration for Ecuador 2016 (Health or YD sector) - I had to fill out 2 skill addendum's after I was places UC - not sure if thats good or bad. Anyhoo, I've been waiting for, what seems like forever, to hear back. The know by date is December 1st, and my PO said that I was still UC when I emailed her last week. I'm nervous that they are just waiting to hear back from everyone else that was accepted before reaching out to me. I know of 5 people who have already accepted positions, which makes me even more worried. Even though I am UC, I'm not sure if my qualifications will be enough. Comments? Suggestions?

Here is my background/qualifications:
- Bachelors in Communication Sciences/Disorders (Speech Therapy)
- Minor is Spanish, Advanced high school placement (8+ years)
- Masters in Recreational Therapy* ask for details
- Experience working with at risk-youth (4 months)
- Experience as Resident Assistant in college (2 years)
- Experience as Program Camp Counselor (2 summers)
- Experience as server/bartender/manager (10 years)
- Experience as recreational therapy/physical therapy assistant (1 year)
- Graduate Assistant for RT program (1 year) *plan, implement, evaluate programs
- First aid, CPR, AED certified and (state) CTRS licensure
- Rugby, tennis, and softball coach for college and high school level

I'm sure there is something I am missing, I just can't remember it right now.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Already UC - Waiting for Response
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
Unfortunately, with the new system, there really is no way to tell how competitive you are regardless of your background.  In some ways, it appears to be luck of the draw - all dependent upon the pool of applicants for the same spot; you may be more or less competitive for the exact same position one year apart, simply because the other applicants have different experiences each time.

That being said, you have a good resume based on what you put, and definitely keep the placement officer updated on any new volunteer or paid (especially volunteer) experiences you have now.  I did, and I'm positive it helped me get invited.

Keep in mind that people DO get interviewed and invited all the way up to the know by date...if you DO have to reapply and aren't selected this time, it's not a bad thing, and in no way means you aren't competitive!  Apply literally right away once again; many people under this new system have had to apply 2-3 times before getting their invite.

Very different from what you may read about the old system, where pretty much everyone was invited eventually, it just sometimes took a while...

Good luck, and keep us informed!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
The skills addendums aren't good or bad. It simply means that based on your resume, you might be a good match for more than one sector, so they want more information to assess your skills. Based on what you wrote here, it sounds like you could be a competitive candidate for either health or YD, so it makes sense they would ask for the addendums, but I'd wager YD is more likely.

Unfortunately YD is a fairly small sector (9% of all openings), ad the positions are fairly sought after. Spanish speaking countries are also very competitive. This is just to say that if you don't get invited this time around, don't be discouraged. You seem like an excellent applicant.

You still could have a couple weeks to wait until you know for sure. I've heard of people being interviewed and invited the day before the know-by.

Best of luck!

Offline owen.alis

• Posting Member
    • Alissa In The Peace Corps
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »
Thank you for your responses. This is my second time applying, the first time I was told to gain more experience and reapply - which I have done for the past 3 years. I'm just getting really anxious as it nears closer to the know by date.

Thank you again! :)