What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Waiting for peace corps...in the meantime  (Read 1691 times)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Waiting for peace corps...in the meantime
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:54:39 PM »
So I'm kind of toying with the idea of enrolling in an online course to get TEFL certified, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I was looking at TESOLexpress and some other places, but I would like some more solid info before I jump in and pay for a course. I've seen from 60 hour to 160+ hour courses with varying degrees of certifications. I'm wondering if anyone else has done any of these online only courses (as those are the only ones I can take with my job) and which programs they would recommend with regards to the peace corps. I want this certification at some point, but if I were to do it now, I would conceivably have to do a program that I could complete before I left, if I make it in (I'm waiting to hear about an interview at this point with a know by date of March 1st and a departure date of Sept. 2016). I'd hate to start a year long program that I couldn't finish before departure on the grounds that I don't know if I'll even get in or not, and the whole reason why I would do it now would be to inform my placement officer to make me a better candidate. These are all just things that I've been tossing around in my head while I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs on what the next few years of my life are going to entail.

This is just a side-note anxiety thing right here, but is anyone else finding the wait time between responses difficult? I'm mean I know at this point that there's nothing I can do but wait, but while I'm sitting here waiting, purposely trying to keep longterm things on hold, I'm actually moving up in my job that was supposed to be part time. If I wait much longer, it could easily turn into a career thing (which is great and I really appreciate that). But, at the same time, I'm afraid that if this peace corps purgatory keeps going much longer, it may be too far in to do the program. You know what I mean? Like, you kind of have to be at a turning point or crossroads for the peace corps solely because of the time it takes to do; just finished school, pre-career, post-career, in between-career, or as a career. You can't really be in the middle of a career and say, "Yeah I'm going to peace out for two-ish years."

What I'm being really horrible at saying is, I'm trying to stave off being too far into any commitments that may stand between me and serving in the peace corps, but at the rate it's going, I feel like the window of opportunity is closing before I even get the chance and I really want to do this. The company that I'm working for already knows my peace corps situation, but I just get frustrated. Anyone else noticing this or in the same boat?

Offline Bernie2016

• Posting Member
Re: Waiting for peace corps...in the meantime
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
I definitely understand the anxiety of waiting for a response. The TEFL program is a great one, and will help expand your opportunities in the Peace Corps and elsewhere. I can't recommend a program as I am not sure what state you are in, but I would generally recommend staying away from online courses, and taking classes in-person, on-campus. Also, public and state colleges offer TEFL certification much less expensively than private or for-profit colleges (i.e. stat away from Walden, DeVry, Kaplan, Phoenix, ITT, Everest, etc.)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
Re: Waiting for peace corps...in the meantime
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:32:03 PM »
I also understand..did come a crossroads of early retirement ( not by choice but in long run maybe a blessing). My decision is Peace Corp Vrs Vista (US Peace Corp).Already a Vista Alumni so serving again would ok for me..but might be best time of my life to serve in Peace Corp. My decison will do wait for possible Peace Corp invite (2 yr) or take on another Vista project (1 yr) or could try fast response Peace Corp option since classified as a professional in education field. What to do? Already UC for Macedonia 9/16 (just waiting for interview) and have few Vista projects I am interested in.