What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: 5 years  (Read 1711 times)

Offline LiveToServe

• Posting Member
  • Learn to Do,Do to Learn,Earn to Live,Live to Serve
  • PC Status: Applicant
5 years
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
So I was looking at Volunteer Openings and I notice that most have the requirement or a BA/BS but also 5 years of professional work experience. My question is, how professional is professional? Do I need a income taxable job in specified area, or is simply working with youth for over 5 years professional enough? All thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks :)
'The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.' -Ghandi

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: 5 years
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
I believe that most jobs are a 4-year degree OR 5 years of work experience. Volunteer work would also count- for me (I was accepted on work experience and a 2-year degree), I used 2.5 years of AmeriCorps volunteer service along with 4 summers as a camp counselor and various volunteer tutoring positions.

Offline LiveToServe

• Posting Member
  • Learn to Do,Do to Learn,Earn to Live,Live to Serve
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
They are either or. I just figured if I have the oppurtunity to fill both, then I'm going to do so :)
'The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.' -Ghandi

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
By "professional experience" they mean full-time experience directly related to the position you are interested in. If you have a college degree (especially in a related field) then part time or volunteer experience is plenty. I've been told that 30 hours of experience is enough to be considered if you have a degree.