What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Will they catch a lie?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Ezra

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Will they catch a lie?
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:40:49 PM »
Most people posting on this medical clearance forum are concerned about getting rejected for some condition they have.  I sort of want to do the opposite.  There's a particular minor medical condition that prevents people from living in cold climates, but otherwise wouldn't compromise my fitness at all, and involves no medication or treatments.  I don't actually have the condition (at least, I've never been diagnosed with it) but I don't want to go to a cold climate.  If they try to send me to one I just won't go--I'd rather abandon the whole notion than go somewhere cold.  (My top choice is a country with hot *and* cold regions, so I can't know in advance what I'll get.)  But I'm a little leery of just telling them that.  It'd be a lot better if there was an Official Medical Reason why I can't go to the cold region of that country.  So what I'm wondering is, if I said I had this condition, do I need, like, a doctor's note or something, or can I get away with just saying that I have it?  There's no way a doctor could tell I have it or don't have it with just an examination. 

On the other hand, I'd prefer not to lie, but I'd like to know what type of response I'm likely to get if I tell them I won't to go to a cold place.  Does anyone have any insight into that? 

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Will they catch a lie?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
In my experience, the in-country staff is usually pretty good about accommodating your regional desires once you are in country. I am from Arizona and I was very nervous about being sent to a colder country, and I told my country staff, and they placed me in a milder place in the country (still snowy, but hotter summers and not up in the mountains).

I would be very careful about saying you have a particular medical condition. If you list it on your med forms, then they will likely want more information about it--- at least a statement about how you manage it. It may not cause any problems or they may decide that you could not be sent to a country with both hot and cold climates because it would limit your placement once you are there. If you don't put it on your document and just claim to have it when you get to the country, you can be administratively separated for not disclosing previous information on your application.

I usually find honesty to be the best policy but I know several volunteers that were less than truthful during their service, so you could potentially get away with many lies.

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
If you state you have this condition, medical will most likely ask questions about it and expect you to be able to tell them the doctor who diagnosed it, etc.  You would then be cornered and would be making up more lies.  Not a good idea.

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!
     Sir Walter Scott

Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline Ezra

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
Koji and Marion make some good points. I decided to refrain from mentioning any specific condition.