What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Does Peace Corps call former employers? Am I competitive?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Bernie2016

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Does Peace Corps call former employers? Am I competitive?
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »
My only work history are four retail stores (beginning in 2012), and they are all chain corporations, which have the policy that they are not allowed to give any information about a former employee, except for the dates of employment and why they left. None of my former managers give letters of recommendation, either, as they are not allowed. I have some volunteer experience, however, with a local hospital, the Sierra Club, and two political campaigns. If they call my former employers, they will not be impressed. I also have some FEMA certifications, graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Emergency Management in May, and will soon be a certified teacher in the State of Florida. Am I competitive?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Does Peace Corps call former employers? Am I competitive?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:23:24 AM »
They may call your former employers to check your dates of employment, but for your actual references you can list people that you volunteered with/for as opposed to employers. (I believe they allow one personal reference and two professional references, but the professional references can be people you volunteered with or for, not just formal work).

I believe you would make it to an interview, depending on what program you are applying for... but then your 'competitiveness' depends on how you are able to apply the experiences you have to volunteering in the Peace Corps and a demonstration of your flexibility and commitment.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
They will only contact people you list as references. You are required one personal and one professional reference, and volunteer OR employment history can be used for the professional work experience. I would recommend listing someone from an experience most relevant to the position you are applying for. If you've already submitted your application with your references, you can have them updated by emailing application@peacecorps.gov, or by contacting your regional recruitment office. Your references will not be contacted until your interview is scheduled.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
They MAY contact other people in your employment history, depending on what else might be there.

As Amanda said, usually they only contact who you list (or to verify employment).  The being said, I had previous federal experience that required BIs, so PC legal actually had to get some information from them before I could be cleared to swear-in.  Though, as I mentioned, it was the legal/background office who did that, and not the placement officer.

As for competitiveness, honestly, no one can actually tell you - regardless of what you might hear.  It completely depends upon the applicant pool for the positions you applied for at the time you applied.  You may be VERY competitive for one position this year, but if you were to apply for the same position next year, you may not even get an interview.  Again, very dependent on the rest of the applicants at any given time.

That being said, I absolutely agree that you have a good background!  We currently have two people here in my current country with EM backgrounds, and it's helped both!  Also, don't sell yourself short on retail experience - there's some good stuff there: dealing with people, dealing with DIFFICULT people, problem solving, attention to detail, customer service, etc...

Good luck!!!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline Bernie2016

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:48:44 PM »
They may call your former employers to check your dates of employment, but for your actual references you can list people that you volunteered with/for as opposed to employers. (I believe they allow one personal reference and two professional references, but the professional references can be people you volunteered with or for, not just formal work).

I believe you would make it to an interview, depending on what program you are applying for... but then your 'competitiveness' depends on how you are able to apply the experiences you have to volunteering in the Peace Corps and a demonstration of your flexibility and commitment.
I am trying to take in as much information at college as I can, so that I can apply it in the field. Thanks for the tip.

They will only contact people you list as references. You are required one personal and one professional reference, and volunteer OR employment history can be used for the professional work experience. I would recommend listing someone from an experience most relevant to the position you are applying for. If you've already submitted your application with your references, you can have them updated by emailing application@peacecorps.gov, or by contacting your regional recruitment office. Your references will not be contacted until your interview is scheduled.
Great point. Thank you, Amanda.

They MAY contact other people in your employment history, depending on what else might be there.

As Amanda said, usually they only contact who you list (or to verify employment).  The being said, I had previous federal experience that required BIs, so PC legal actually had to get some information from them before I could be cleared to swear-in.  Though, as I mentioned, it was the legal/background office who did that, and not the placement officer.

As for competitiveness, honestly, no one can actually tell you - regardless of what you might hear.  It completely depends upon the applicant pool for the positions you applied for at the time you applied.  You may be VERY competitive for one position this year, but if you were to apply for the same position next year, you may not even get an interview.  Again, very dependent on the rest of the applicants at any given time.

That being said, I absolutely agree that you have a good background!  We currently have two people here in my current country with EM backgrounds, and it's helped both!  Also, don't sell yourself short on retail experience - there's some good stuff there: dealing with people, dealing with DIFFICULT people, problem solving, attention to detail, customer service, etc...

Good luck!!!
Thank you, Jeff, for the information. It makes sense that my competitiveness is contingent upon that of the other applicants, but it is good to hear that Emergency Management may be a good degree background.