What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Worries  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Hazardous

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Worries
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »
Hey everyone. I have been thinking about applying for peace corps for about a year now. I have a small problem, my grades aren't exactly spectacular. I am graduating in may with a double major in economics and history. I anticipate a 2.7 GPA.
I do have a pretty solid resume, I've taught English in Turkey for 7.5 months, tutored English in Detroit for a school year (where I've lived and go to school), and I have well over 100 hours of community service in youth mentorship and other activities, as well as an internship in agriculture over a summer. I also held two executive board positions in student organizations while in school.

I want to add that I'm willing to go anywhere and do anything!

My two questions are;
will my GPA hinder my chances of getting in?
And when should I start my application, considering I won't be graduating until may,  possibly June if I decide to take a lighter workload this upcoming semester.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Worries
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:21:14 AM »
Just my $.02....which might not actually be worth that much!

As for the GPA, mine was 2.06 when I first did Peace Corps, so that won't actually stop you from PC itself (and I've been invited three times now); that being said, there were a couple of sectors with GPA requirements (I'm not sure if they still have them, as requirements are set by the host country), mainly upper-level education positions.

In my experience, my experience has been more of the focus than the GPA.  I honestly can't remember if I was asked to explain my low GPA, but I don't believe so.

As far as hindering your chances of getting in, that probably depends competely on the rest of the applicant pool for whatever position you get put under consideration for.  Like I said before, it is not in and of itself something to worry about too much.

The application process can take up to a year...it really is different for eveyone, but the sooner you apply the less spots they'll have filled.  If you wait until the very last apply-by date, you might find that some of the slots are already taken, and you will be competing for many less positions.  Personally, I always say apply as early as you can.

Right now I believe the PC website has positions up through September 2016 posted, and it looks like there's a number of them in the July-September timeframe.  If that works for you, I'd start applying NOW.

Good luck!!

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Worries
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »
They likely won't even ask for your transcripts.

As Jeff said, few positions have GPA requirements, and those are primarily higher level education positions (and the minimum GPA for those is usually 2.5). Your experience, interview, and references will mean much more than your GPA.