What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Just got my invitation to interview but...  (Read 1941 times)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Just got my invitation to interview but...
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
Ok, super worried. I just got off a late work shift, checked my email, and saw that I finally got my interview request. The only problem is that, when I got to the poll to pick a time, there were only two slots left and they were during a work shift. I clicked the "I cannot make it button" but now I'm scared. Will they send me a different week to interview? Did my chances suddenly go down because so many will now interview before I get the chance? It's too late for me to try and change my shift, and I waited so long to hear back from them. please help

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Just got my invitation to interview but...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:43:30 AM »
I would go ahead and send an email to the Placement Officer who sent you the request (when I got mine, it came from their email address) just letting them know.

A head's up never hurt, and in my experience they're usually pretty good about working with people who have legitimate issues!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
I did send my placement officer an email as soon as I clicked the button. I was confused though, it had interview times for all this week including yesterday, but I wasn't notified until yesterday evening. What about people who work? I thought that when you would be contacted to interview you would be given at least a week's heads up so you could make the appropriate arrangements. And week of is too soon for many people to be able to work around schedules. At my job, I would've had to request, at the latest, last week for time off for that interview, and that's pushing it. It just sucks because I want to get ready (which I'm doing anyway), I'm excited to interview, and I already feel like I'm at a disadvantage 

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
It does seem wierd that the email would come so last minute, but there's probably a lot of reasons it could have happened...

In my process I definitely had times when the system from PC sent out emails way after they should have gone out.  Things reflected in the portal (especially MAP) that I didn't get notified for for a few days.  It could also just be that she has times she (or he) is trying to fill and/or had cancellations last minute.  Also, the holidays and vacation could have impacted when they were able to send the links out.

You might be able to request a simple phone interview rather than a video chat if that makes it easier to work around your work schedule??  My interview ended up just being a voice interview.

Whatever the case, its good practice for service ;)   All kinds of last minute (or no minute) changes to things....especially during PST!

As for being at a disadvantage, definitely don't put that on yourself.  The PC interview is relatively laid back as far as job interviews go, and, depending on your PO, can actually end up being a lot like a structured conversation more than a formal, stressful interview.  In fact, many POs (and RPCVs in general!) like to talk about their experiences during the conversation!  I know its much easier to say than do, but this is one interview that just relaxing and being yourself is honestly great advice for.  YMMV, obviously.

Once you get things scheduled, it will not be held against you at all if the original times don't work out.  I actually had my interview pushed back twice - once on me, and once on them!

Hope it works out, and good luck!!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17