What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Americorp/Vista  (Read 2345 times)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
  • PC Status: Applicant
Americorp/Vista
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
Greetings

Anyone find serving in the AmeriCorp/Vista program helped to be accepted in Peace Corp, I did serve 1 year (America Reads Project)

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Americorp/Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
Absolutely. I served in an AmeriCorps state program for 6 months and then did VISTA for a year. I applied for Peace Corps during the first few months of my VISTA service. Being a VISTA, I was at an income level where I was able to get my health screenings for free through our local university (huge help). I referenced both the state program and the VISTA program in my application and during my interview. I also believe that the VISTA program helped me prepare for the Peace Corps style of working- grass roots, community driven, very individual with little supervision.

I only had an associate's in general studies, and although I had three years of intense youth development work (through a summer camp and conservation corp) I am absolutely certain that it was my VISTA that tipped the scales in my favor, and that allowed me to be a successful PCV.

I constantly recommend VISTA to people considering PC, and I am surprised by how few people have actually heard about it.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
Appreciate the response. I call it US peace Corp  ;D
Yeah think great lead into actual peace corp.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
I am actually considering some Vista projects at this time also.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »
I don't know how the America Reads program functions, but I know that my time as a VISTA was very different than my time in the state AmeriCorps program--- and I was placed in the same organization for both (at my request, of course- I loved that organization/staff and my job there). My state program was more or less a job that was funded by americorps. But because the VISTA had team leaders and trainings throughout the year that were led by americorps and not my host organization I found it helpful in dealing with the frustration of bureaucracy. It was probably my most important volunteer experience- even more important than being a PCV simply because of my ability to get things done and have a long-lasting affect where I was. And it was helpful in better understanding the diversity that makes up the US.

If I lived in the US, I would love to do another vista term.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
Yeah really enjoyed my Vista experience - I was based out of college campus with a Vista leader. My task was hire and place college work study in elementary inner city schools to help refuge children learn to read and understand english. Many parents could not speak english so this very helpful for kids otherwise they would be a threat to drop out in near future. I also involved in varies side projects.

Offline chickster

• Posting Member
    • I Don't Wear Skinny Jeans
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »
I've done two VISTA terms (one as a Summer Associate and one full term + extension), so I'm hoping it will help my application. A program staff member (and RPCV) at my first site said AmeriCorps would look boss to the Peace Corps, because it shows that you are willing to work hard in challenging environments for little money and little recognition. AmeriCorps, or as I call it, the "domestic Peace Corps"  ::), looks killer on a résumé for most things, especially if you're going to make development or public service your life's work. Good luck!

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
Last several months have reviewing some Vista Leader openings this coming year as backup plan in case Peace Corps got delayed until 2017 ( good to have backup plan)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
Update

Now have two volunteer opportunities on the Table:

With Rwanda (PCR) several hoops and cost get through (possible something could go wrong) before being cleared for departure - With Alaska (AmeriCorps/Vista) good to go (Safe option - no medical clearance issues or cost)

what to do? Need to make decision by Friday