What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Guatemala 2016  (Read 3314 times)

Offline e_c1

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Guatemala 2016
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:13:58 PM »
So I was sent an email back in August saying that they were considering me for the Guatemala departure in September 2016, but I have not heard anything since August, is this normal?

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
Re: Guatemala 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
Well saw one applied in Sept an said got invite in Dec..another like you applied Sept (both another country) an still waiting interview. I UC for Macedonia Dec 23 (applied dec 14) - still waiting for interview. I decided to also apply for rapid response (as a professional) to up my chances in 2016. See what happens.  Since they did close all but countries for 2016 I expect alot interviews between now and end of feb,

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
September departures have an Apply-by date of 1/1 and know-by of 3/1. A lot of people did not even submit applications until the end of December. Since Spanish-speaking countries are highly desired/competitive, it is entirely possible the Placement Officer was waiting to see the entire applicant pool before moving forward with a lot of interviews/invitations. Although some people may have been interviewed and/or invited, it is still completely normal to have not heard anything yet. Since you applied so long ago, it might be beneficial to send an email to Placement (address at the bottom of your UC email, probably placementguatemala@peacecorps.gov) with an updated resume (make sure everything is quantified with hours/length of experience), and to reiterate your interest in the position.

Best of luck!

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
Yeah I figure they sorting through all the appications that were put in right up deadline date..then selecting people to interview.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
They do start interviewing some applicants pretty early after posting positions, and some invitations are issued before the apply-by date. For instance, I applied in August for a program with a 1/1 application deadline, and I got my invitation in November. I have a master's degree and years of professional experience related to my PC position, though.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
I quess what others might what know is there any advantage or not to applying early? are wait until right before deadline? or is that a disadvantage?

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »
They do start interviewing some applicants pretty early after posting positions, and some invitations are issued before the apply-by date. For instance, I applied in August for a program with a 1/1 application deadline, and I got my invitation in November. I have a master's degree and years of professional experience related to my PC position, though.

Every PO is different and your qualifications certainly make you more competitive, however, this doesn't have any bearing on how early or late you are invited.

I quess what others might what know is there any advantage or not to applying early? are wait until right before deadline? or is that a disadvantage?

The earlier you apply, the better. I wouldn't call it an advantage vs. disadvantage because you really don't know how competitive the applicant pool is. The way to look at it: If you apply around the application deadline you are limiting yourself as invitations have already been given out.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
" If you apply around the application deadline you are limiting yourself as invitations have already been given out"

Yeah this makes sense

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
Every PO is different and your qualifications certainly make you more competitive, however, this doesn't have any bearing on how early or late you are invited.

I don't believe this is accurate at all. The majority of invitations are issued after the application deadline, and invites issued earlier are generally reserved for more competitive candidates. For most applicants, Placement wants to see the entire application pool before deciding whether or not to invite, however some with some candidates they can be reasonably sure they will invite anyway (due to qualifications), and they may invite prior to the application deadline. I've been told something to this effect by both POs and recruiters.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
Question -  Has anyone ever been imvited without a interview?  (prob not but anything could be possible)

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
Not that I'm aware of. Interviews are an essential part of the application process. I've heard of people reapplying and not needing to re-interview, but everyone needs to interview at some point.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Yeah did think so but anything possible
Think rapid response interviews coming up soon (asked to rank my projects preferences today) 
Nothing back on Reg Peace Corp so far ( after being placed UC Dec 23)

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »

I don't believe this is accurate at all. The majority of invitations are issued after the application deadline, and invites issued earlier are generally reserved for more competitive candidates. For most applicants, Placement wants to see the entire application pool before deciding whether or not to invite, however some with some candidates they can be reasonably sure they will invite anyway (due to qualifications), and they may invite prior to the application deadline. I've been told something to this effect by both POs and recruiters.

No.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:48 AM »
I wouldn't say a blanket 'no'...I really think this is dependant on the individual PO, their style, and how they want to proceed in any given applicant pool.  I know for my current group we had a large number of people invited prior to the deadlines (including the application deadline).  I wouldn't say a MAJORITY, but a significant number.  But in the current group that's coming later this year, not many invites have gone out at all yet, and the application deadline has already passed.

That's not saying that PC as an agency doesn't have a recommended methodology, but, based on my experiences this really is something, again, that can't be generalized.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17