What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Unemployment Benefits  (Read 2717 times)

Offline elena4142

• Posting Member
  • RPCV Dominican Republic
    • Ellen's Master's International Journey
  • PC Status: RPCV
Unemployment Benefits
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
Heads up, everybody, I just learned something that you all should know:

"RPCVs are not eligible for unemployment benefits. The Solicitor of Labor has ruled that individuals enrolled in the Peace Corps programs are volunteers who perform services under the terms and conditions that they do not give rise to the legal relationship of employer and employee, and, therefore, are not considered in employment covered under Title II of the Emergency Jobs and Unemployment Assistance Act of 1974, Public Law 93-567.88, Stat. 1845. For further information, see the Unemployment Insurance Program Letter, Number 19075, dated May 22, 1975, from the U.S. Department of Labor, Manpower Administration."

In summary: better hope that readjustment allowance doesn't run out before you find a job.

David

Re: Unemployment Benefits
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
On the flip side.... if you are collecting unemployment here in the states, because you were laid off or something, and go into the Peace Corps, you cannot continue collecting unemployment. 

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Unemployment Benefits
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
This is a VERY important thing to know. So many folk run out and spend their RA towards a car when they COS. I saved mine and just sat on my butt until I was ready to accept the good job that I wanted. I worked as a substitute teacher and made ends meet that way when I could get a gig.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur