What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Immunization History  (Read 3587 times)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
  • PC Status: Applicant
Immunization History
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
I am so old finding it difficult to find any records - esp within 5 day window which includes Sat and Sun. They can take my word..ha!!! or might have take all required for host country which just be more cost for me (though PO told me I would be reimbursed)

Has anyone paid for Immunizations and been reimbursed? If so how did process go?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Immunization History
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
I haven't been reimbursed, but just make sure that you are ONLY getting the immunizations required in the Medical paperwork.

I'm not 100% sure of PC Response, but for regular PC, only those are required prior to departure - the rest will be given by PC once you 'report'.

I'm assuming you are asking in reference to PC Response, so you might want to verify that it's the same.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I'm not sure if the reimbursement procedure is the same for regular PC and Response, but for regular PC, the maximum amount you can get reimbursed for medical costs depends on age and gender, and is $125 for males under 50, and $175 for males 50 and over. I'm in the process of submitting reimbursement paperwork, but I've heard they're pretty good about it as long as you send itemized bills. If you have insurance, a lot of the vaccines would be considered preventative, so you would have little (if any) out of pocket cost. MMR requires two doses a month apart, and you usually can't get more than 2-3 total vaccines administered at a given time, but you can have blood tests done to confirm immunity if you don't want (or can't get) all the shots (although titres are more expensive than the vaccines).

The only ones I was required to prove immunity for were HepB, MMR, Varicella, Tetanus/Diptheria, and Polio (administered after age 18). In addition to that, they wanted all other vaccination records to confirm that they weren't giving unnecessary shots. For HepB, we're required to get the titre, regardless of previous vaccines.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
Yeah was (and have form) told all vaccinations cost would be reimbursed back to me except MMR and Polio (maybe 4 - 8 weeks). Talk to Health dept about billing Peace Corps Heath (It an option Peace Corps has..the other pay up front and get paid back.. I tried but unsuccessful)..going to Dr this coming week to ask if would bill Peace Corps (wish me luck)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
By the way it is yellow fever and esp rabies that are esp painful in terms of cost..:(

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
For all thinking about applying Peace Corps within the next year -  would advise getting vaccinations early to spread out cost (esp if do not have insurance or limited insurance) - I have several vaccines to get through within next 22 days (first time-line) and cost will be around $1200+. (It the Rabies,if needed, that be so costly - was told by health dept $765 for 3 shots) Yellow Fever is also a bit pricey.

Trying to a service that would bill Peace Corps (they pay everything except for MMR/Polio)...but so far no luck. Looking like I will pay up front and get reimbursed.

I only have less 30 days on first time-line..then another maybe 30 days finish up vaccines or other medical/dental request. (Have a tight window)..but pushing onward. If meant be...it will get through this an on my way to Africa. (end of march)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
By the way if you a service that provides vaccinations an was willing to bill Peace Corps please let know asap. Thanks

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
Has PC indicated you'll need rabies vaccines? I haven't heard of any volunteers needing it before.

Future volunteers should definitely wait until medical tells them which vaccines they need, because requirements vary by country, and PC sometimes provides some vaccines during training.

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
Future volunteers should definitely wait until medical tells them which vaccines they need, because requirements vary by country, and PC sometimes provides some vaccines during training.

Absolutely agree...  don't get anything they don't tell you to get.  When I served, I did get a rabies vaccine provided by Peace Corps when in-country (Botswana). Other countries may not even require it.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »
Right from PC Medical Site: (My RN)
The following are required before departure: Tetanus, Hepatitis A #1 , Hepatitis B #1 #2, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Pre Exposure Rabies #1 #2 #3, Meningococcal, and Influenza

Also have get MMR and Polio because have no vaccine records

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 04:30:57 AM »
Again, remember that that is specific for your country, and probably a function of doing PC Response vs. regular PC.  With regular PC, the list of required before departure is very small, though you may end up getting quite a few in service!

PC Response and PC are completely different beasts! :)

Interesting, though, that they make you get all that before you leave....
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Yeah beginning to think the difference in medical clearance between Reg Peace Corps and Peace Corps response is: (just my opinion)

Peace Corps - Main focus is passing Physical/EKG, Dental.and Eye exams..and not Immunizations (2 yr term)

Peace Corps Response - Main focus Immunizations..then Physical/EKG, Dental.and Eye exams (3 months - 12 months term)

collin

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 05:18:41 PM »
Does anyone know where/how I submit my forms?? Please help! Thanks!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
It's possible it's changed since I did it last year, but there was a task in the MAP for me to upload that stuff to.

If not, you might want to reach out to your nurse through the MAP, and they can create a task.  I had to do that for a couple things that were 'missing'.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17