What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Ukraine September 2016  (Read 1907 times)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Ukraine September 2016
« on: January 28, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
So, I was put under consideration and interviewed for the education program in Ukraine with a Know By date of March 1st. Has anyone else interviewed for this and heard back? Or not, either way, I'd like to talk to other potential volunteers for the program. I haven't head back myself yet, and I interviewed before New Years. Anyone else?

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
Re: Ukraine September 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
Wish you best - UC for Macedonia since Dec - but decided to apply for Peace Corp Response - Got interview/invite within about 2 weeks. (They much faster responding to applications and emails)

Going Rwanda Africa

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Note to apply for Peace Corp Response have to be a returned Peace Corp volunteer or 10 + years of work experience (Professional)

Terms could be 3 to 12 months and often times you may only have 60 days (once invited) to prepare for departure (medical clearance could be challenging within that time-frame) - and a bit costly for sure.

Offline PCVolunteer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
Note to apply for Peace Corp Response have to be a returned Peace Corp volunteer or 10 + years of work experience (Professional)

Terms could be 3 to 12 months and often times you may only have 60 days (once invited) to prepare for departure (medical clearance could be challenging within that time-frame) - and a bit costly for sure.

Medical clearance can be costly for anyone invited to Peace Corps/Response.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
Yeah for sure - dealing that right now. (Volunteering at soup kitchen Sat night - maybe take mind my off vaccinations and cost)

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
Welp, this is the week of truth for Ukraine, September 2016!!! anyone up for the program heard anything back yet?

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
Didn't make it in, so it looks like I'm going to have to spend a day crying, coming down from the anxiety high that I've been on all week, pull up my bootstraps, try out for Americorps and hope I don't get my dreams crushed again. (sorry, I'm going to be raw over this for the next few days) :'(

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:56:07 AM »
Sorry to hear that :(  Always sucks...

But, I would highly encourage you to reapply if you really want to do PC!  May not be the same country, but will still be an experience.  With the increase in applicants and change to the process, I actually think its more common to have to do this than not, so not getting a slot in any specific attempt does NOT in any way mean you are not qualified...

You could also try talking to a recruiter about what you can do to make the application stronger, and I've even heard of some people now emailing the placement officer directly to ask that question.

Again, I highly encourage you to reapply - just from reading various threads in various places, some people are having to apply three times before getting in.....and again, I think reapplication is more common than not nowadays.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline oldmoviebuff

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
I plan to reapply, I'm just going to try for Americorps and see if I can't get more experience while I'm reapplying.