What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Mental Health Evalutation Cost  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Winterfell81

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Mental Health Evalutation Cost
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
I've been assigned a Mental Health evalutation for an anxiety problem I used to have and under control now.  My health insurance doesnt seem to cover this type of mental health exam.

I've been calling around and most Psychiatrists flat out told me they don't do paperwork. 

The one I found has quoted me $2500 !!  I'm attempting to talk them down to $1000 but wondering if anyone else has faced this high costs or any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
Re: Mental Health Evalutation Cost
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I was treated for anxiety in the past, but am stable without treatment now.

Are you only calling psychiatrists? The paperwork doesn't specify it has to be a psychiatrist, just that it needs to be a "mental health professional." I had my MH eval last week with a psychologist (generally cheaper since they're not MDs), and it would have been $100 without insurance for a single session. He was happy to fill out the paperwork for me. The practice I went to billed it to my insurance as a standard therapy visit (not an eval for employment), so it was covered at 70%.

Offline Winterfell81

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks, no I didnt consider checking that route.  Let me make some phone calls!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:54:28 AM »
I had to have an evaluation for depression before I could be cleared. I went online to a few mental health forums- back when yahoo forums were popular-  and found a psychologist who did an online evaluation with me for free, then faxed me the completed paperwork. He was a complete lifesaver, as I had no money to spend on further evaluations.

I would definitely let psychologists know that you need this for Peace Corps and ask if they are willing to give you a discount. Both my dentist and psychologist gave me discounts (the psych eval for free, the dental fillings at a 20% discount). If you can find an RPCV psychologist, you will have the best shot of that.

Offline Winterfell81

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:55 AM »
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:21 AM »
Yeah medical clearance can very costly. Found a dentist through International College of Dentists and my surprise did the following for free: Dental exam, Dental x-rays, filled/fixed 3 cavities, and got teeth cleaned - wow he really supports the Peace Corps. Now hope doctor is as kind and wish I could vaccinations for free....:)