What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: What does Under Consideration mean?  (Read 7484 times)

Offline angrysocks

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
What does Under Consideration mean?
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
I am sure that this question has been asked countless times but I am really confused and anxious about this whole application process. I applied to the Peace Corps several years ago and I was rejected. This is my second time applying and I was placed Under Consideration. I still have the first of June to know if I get accepted. Do all applicants get placed under consideration? It has been about a month and I am still waiting till the June 1st date. Should I be worried that I am waiting this long?

Thank-you for answering my questions!

Cabbey11

Re: What does Under Consideration mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
I got my under consideration email pretty early after I applied. It's a good thing because that means they are interested. I just had my interview two weeks ago but I applied kind of early. Good luck!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
As you might have heard last time you applied...It depends.

Under consideration means that they are looking at you for a specific spot.  Not all people get the under consideration email, although they do put more people under consideration than actually get interviewed, and more get interviewed than get invited.  It means that they think you are basically qualified and competitive, though how competitive (and if you get an interview) will really depend upon the applicant pool for the position they are considering you for.  Your competitiveness for a slot could change each time you apply, even if for the exact same position depending on who else applies at any one time.

As far as it being a long wait - there are people who have been interviewed and invited on the actual know-by date, so it's never technically too late until you get the no longer under consideration notification  Under the new process, I actually think it is more common to have to apply two or more times before being selected.  If you look through some of the forums/reddit, you will find a number of posts from people who had to do that.

If you have some more experience you've gained, or done some additional volunteering, it never hurts to shoot an email to the placement officer to a) let them know, and b) keep your name up front.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline angrysocks

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
I was placed under consideration a week after I applied. For now I have been volunteering a 2 different organizations which I updated them with. I will be volunteering with a 3rd organization soon. I know this is a highly competive process. I am certain everyone that applies has a million degrees and ten years of experience. At least I am trying.