What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Interview Questions  (Read 2230 times)

Offline lalala45

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Interview Questions
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
Does anyone have an advice for the interview? What type of questions/what kind of answers they want? I am feeling overwhelmed in the sense that my answers to the questions are not good enough, or that I'm not sure I should even be getting an interview because of my lack of difference experiences. However this is my life's dream, and I don't want to make a fool out of myself.
Thanks!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline Ksorelle

• Posting Member
Re: Interview Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »
The email that your placement officer sent you to prepare you for your interview should have 6 possible questions. In my interview I was literally asked just those questions, but had spent a ton of time prepping other questions as well that I had found online. My advice is stick to the email! :) good luck!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
As Ksorelle said, the bulk of the interview will be discussing the topics listed in the interview request.

In addition to that, they'll also ask about your motivations for being interested in PC, that sector, and that country. They'll ask if you have any concerns related to various issues (status of women, lack of modern conveniences, isolation, dietary changes, etc), and they'll confirm that you understand the drug/alcohol policy. There might be some country specific questions, as well. For instance, I was asked if I was comfortable living with a host family for the duration of service (required in Cambodia), and was asked about my ability to ride a bike (Cambodia PCVs main mode of transportation.

After all that, your PO will more thoroughly describe the position you're interviewing for, and ask if you have any questions (prepare a long list, because most will be addressed before you have a chance to ask).

It seems stressful, but as long as you're prepared to respond to the things listed in your interview request, you should be fine.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
Also, just to chime in, interviews (from what I hear and in my experience) tend to be rather relaxed. You will most likely be talking to an RPCV- meaning someone who has gone through the interview process on your side before and understands your nerves.

For me, it was the funnest interview of my life. I usually HATE talking on the phone (mine was a phone interview) but the interviewer was completely relaxed and nice. It was more of a conversation about volunteering and expectations and hopes rather than some kind of inquisition.

My biggest suggestion is to try to relax and enjoy it. Think of it as time to share your passion with someone else who actually gets it.

Offline Ksorelle

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »
My interview was not relaxed.  It was a Skype interview and very rigid.  My interviewer had absolutely no emotion throughout the whole thing, and I got zero feedback on any of my answers.  And exactly 90 minutes after we started, she ended the interview.  Told me that if I had additional questions that I could just email her.  It was unfortunately nothing like everything I read about them!  Lol.  I hope yours is more relaxed than mine!  But be prepared for any scenario. :-)

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 03:17:02 AM »
That is a bummer to hear- I hope they are not making a trend of that these days.

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »
Mine wasn't particularly relaxed either. My PO was pretty emotionless throughout the process, and pretty much stuck to the script. It didn't help that they type everything as you say it, so they're always looking away from you. We finished at 60 minutes, but I understand why they'd cut someone off if the interview was exceeding 90 min. They have a lot of interviews to deal with, and they wouldn't want to be late starting the next one.