What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Notes during Interview?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline woollybearcaterpillar

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Notes during Interview?
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
I know this has probably been answered before, but I just want to make sure - is it custom to keep notes for reference prepared for an interview? I just received an invitation to interview, and have printed off the questions in order to prep my answers, as being an introvert, I often have trouble responding spontaneously without sounding jittery (especially during an interview!). I guess in short - would it be a bit unprofessional if I took a glance every now and then towards my notes, or should I try to be as spontaneous as possible? Extremely excited   :D

Offline Ksorelle

• Posting Member
Re: Notes during Interview?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:02:24 PM »
Congrats on getting an interview!! :-)  I might have over prepared, but I wrote out answers to the 5 or 6 questions that my recruiter emailed me, as well as the 20+ potential questions that I found online.  I also can get nervous and forget what I want to say on the fly, so I studied my answers so that I wouldn't have to look at my notes.  I think it's okay to have your notes handy, but as a recruiter myself, it can be a turn off if a candidate is reading their notes during an interview.

Best of luck!

-Katie

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »
Thank you so much for your input! The fact that it might be a turn off to view the interviewee reading from notes was precisely what I was worried about, I'll make sure to think my answers through carefully ahead of time. In addition, I certainly don't want to sound mechanical. Thank you so much!

Offline amanda_pearl

• Forum Champion
  • Cambodia CHE 2016-2018
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »
I second what Ksorelle said! I prepared my answers and practiced saying them aloud. I had my notes next to me when I interviewed, but I didn't actually end up needing them! I believe the only time I looked at my notes was when he asked if I had any questions - I had prepared a long list of things I wanted to ask about, but it turned out that all but one of the questions had already been answered in the course of the interview.

That being said, I don't think it would be problematic if you referenced notes during the interview. It is better than you look like you prepared, rather than fumble through he interview.

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:12 PM »
Thank you amanda_pearl! I feel well prepared, after rehearsing to myself, I don't thin k I'll need my notes after all :D