What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: UC Rwanda 2017  (Read 489 times)

Offline bterry3

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
UC Rwanda 2017
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
Hello all! I am brand-new to the forum, so please excuse any mistakes.

Anyway, I know application timelines have been covered numerous times, but I am just looking for some feedback. I submitted my application about two weeks ago and recently received an email saying I was under consideration for Rwanda departing in September 2017 (the website says they have both primary and secondary English teacher positions open). Does anyone have guidelines on when I can expect to possibly hear back about an interview?

Just a little about me, I am currently in my second year of teaching 6th grade math, and I am licensed to teach all subjects grades 4-8 and ESL PreK-12 in my state (Tennessee). I have taken ESL classes, passed the ESL Praxis, and have experience with ESL students of all ages. Service has always been a huge part of my life, and I am excited about the possibility of joining the Peace Corps. I've tutored and worked with kids for what feels like forever through the Boys and Girls Club and other organizations, and also have experienced tutoring college student-athletes in a variety of subjects and standardized testing tutoring. In college, I was an RA which meant I was also in charge of organizing various educational and social programs for my residents. I also recently spoke to a local recruiter and am planning on attending some local Peace Corps events.

Please forgive my rambling, but again I am just looking for some guidance on timelines, qualifications, etc.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and thanks!

Offline omnombroccoli

• Posting Member
Re: UC Rwanda 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:08:27 PM »
You definitely seem qualified, but... and I know you know this ;) ... nobody can really tell you what I know you want to hear, which is that you are a shoe-in and definitely gonna get invited and exactly when that will happen.

Only your PO knows all that, and knows the qualifications of the people you're competing against, and the interest in your country/position, and when he/she wants to do interviews... etc.

My best advice is to stay super busy so you don't have much time to sit around feeling impatient.  I am miserable when I let myself obsess over when I'll hear back, and time flies when I busy myself with work, friends, and other things.  (I recently restarted Chrono Trigger on DS... a great distraction that takes up time I used to spent on the PC Reddit.)

TL;DR, you are in a good position, but who knows!  Definitely look at blogs and the Reddit and here and other things... if/when you get an interview, it'll be good to know a lot of information about your country and have good answers prepared for when you're asked about culture shock and such, especially if you lack living-abroad experience.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline bterry3

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
Oh, I know I'm not a shoe-in! I hope it didn't seem like that! I've just been reading and seeing how competitive the process has gotten and wanted to see my chances. And i just had Thanksgiving break which, for a teacher, means free time to worry about things.  :) But now I have a stack of projects to grade so that'll keep me busy!

Offline omnombroccoli

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
Nono, not at all!!  I can tell you're a smart person, and perhaps I was projecting a little, but I figured you must know you are pretty qualified, as a certified ESL teacher and everything.  But knowing you're qualified isn't comforting when you know timelines can take one month or one year, and you see so many other applicants with MAs and Nobel prizes*... but sadly that's just how it is.  Though, if it makes you feel better, there's good reason to believe the more-qualified applicants get invited earlier, sometimes even before the apply-by date, so you MIGHT hear back really quickly? :)

I'm a teacher too, and yes, I'm so glad I have work to keep me busy!!!  I've got December completely full with classes, grading, after-school meetings, private tutoring and five different pre-Christmas parties, and boy am I glad, because otherwise I would be pulling random people off the sidewalk to ask when they think I might hear back from PC. ;)

*Not really... I hope.

Offline bterry3

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if someone had a Nobel Prize hidden somewhere in there! I've only really told my family and one co-worker that I've even applied, I just don't want to jinx anything or get too optimistic!

Anyway, just out of curiosity, what do you teach and are you applying for education? Like I said, I'm middle school, so I have the kiddos in their awkward/crazy puberty stages, but I've worked with all ages.

Offline omnombroccoli

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »
Okay yes, we are similar people!  I know it's insane, but I do feel like being overly confident or telling too many people is to beg the universe to knock you down a peg.

I'm an ESL teacher abroad.  I only really teach elementary, as I'm downgraded to an assistant teacher at middle school.  I definitely prefer the younger kids to the moody teens (that age being awful is a universal truth that unites us all), although I've also had experiences with high schoolers and adults, and they're fine again by that age.

I applied for Education generally and had them place me where I was most needed, so I ended up interviewing for Secondary Math.  I've got the undergrad degree for it, but all my actual teaching experience is ESL, so I'm a bit nervous.

Offline bterry3

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
I'm the opposite! I have my undergrad in History and English and my general Masters of Education with the ESL, and even my internship was in middle school social studies and ESL, but I've only taught middle school math! To be fair, I have some reading classes too, but I've actually been surprised at how much I enjoy teaching math. It gives you a lot of room to teach logic.

Also, how is teaching abroad? It's something I've really wanted to do with my ESL experience (hence applying for PC) but I haven't had a chance yet to really explore what it's like. I only finished grad school in May 2015 (my school had a 5 year teacher ed program) and since my state (TN) gave me money for grad school I had to teach in a TN public school for a year, so I've been fulfilling that.

And yes, they can be moody at that age. I have one kid in my third period who has come in a huff several times because he missed a shot in PE the class before. But they can also be wonderful and hilarious, it just depends on the day. :)