What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Education & Youth in Development application enhancement  (Read 214 times)

Offline bryannaleach

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Education & Youth in Development application enhancement
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
I am a junior who just officially decided to apply for the Peace Corps. I am a political science and sociology major and would like to work at a nonprofit as a career. I'm mostly interested in problem solving and planning, so I'm leaning towards Youth in Development, but I'm also considering education programs, and I know there are a lot more opportunities there.

My experience so far has been with attending and planning Alternative Breaks trips for women's advocacy, children and educational trips. I'll also have at least two Global Brigades human rights trips on my application and various other volunteer and leadership experiences.

The recruiter at my school mentioned that a TEFL certification might enhance my application further. Since I'm applying for PC in July, I would have time to get certified between now and then, but I wouldn't have time to get experience tutoring or more recent, consistent experience working with kids. I do have over five years of experience nannying from before college, however, including with a child who was non-verbal autistic.

So a TEFL certificate is interesting to me and I'm not opposed to getting one, however it seems like a lot of time to add on top of my class/work schedule and a lot of money if the only thing I ever use it for is my PC app (and I really have no idea if I would want to use it again or not). But does anyone else have thoughts on whether it would be a huge enhancement for my application, even in just showing dedication and that I'm interested in teaching English? Could it benefit me for international jobs or graduate applications even after PC? Or would it be an unnecessary use of time/money at this point?

Does anyone have any other tips for things that I can do in the next few months to make my application as competitive as possible?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Education & Youth in Development application enhancement
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:52:51 AM »
If you are going to apply for YD, I would not waste time with TEFL. I do not believe anyone in my YD group had a TEFL cert. (Granted, this was in 2010, so things could have changed by now). Also, from what I understand of the TEFL program is that the in-country training is pretty thorough and currently undergoing review to count as a stand-alone TEFL certificate. I would personally spend my time getting more on-hands experience and skip the TEFL.

I would look into a part-time Americorps State/National program if you have the time... otherwise, I would look into volunteering with another youth program... the scouts also tend to look good, if you can volunteer to help plan a program or trip...

Offline mksOakland

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Education & Youth in Development application enhancement
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
I was invited as a CYF volunteer for the Philippines departing this June. I do not have any certifications like the TEFL but I did do two years of AmeriCorps which I think really helped my application. Also, if you have lived abroad previously it can show you are sensitive to other cultural norms that may be in place and that you could handle any potential culture shock. AmeriCorps is great, and I am very happy I served.