What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Pre-Medical Clearance-Life Long Condition  (Read 4537 times)

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
Pre-Medical Clearance-Life Long Condition
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
Hi guys: I have a life long (non-serious) non progressive condition that I have lived with forever. I am lucky and it is mild. The PC does know and had documentations of such.  I do not  need medication or any medical assistance with this condition. I also had to do a personal mission statement about the condition. I think this is a good sign that they want to medically clear me? This the only thing that can hold me back for invitation. Anyone with a medical condition that  they had during service. Information would be awesome.

Update pre medically cleared... as of 5PM today!!!! YAY! Still any info on PCV's and RPCV's and medical conditions and coping would still be beneficial!
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Pre-Medical Clearance-Life Long Condition
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:45 AM »
Congratulations!  That must be a relief!

Like you said, with life-long medical conditions, even some that require medications, PC can be rather flexible.  It just may alter where you are able to serve.  That is why they are so thorough, making sure past and present doctors fill in forms and have you write personal statements.  There are only some situations in which PC believes that you are not mentally or physically strong enough to serve.
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
Thanks! Let me be clear. I do not think my condition will effect my service in any way. My symptoms are so infrequent that I really do not worry about it. I was just worried that I wouldn't get medically cleared by Peace Corps. That fear is now gone!
Caroline

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
Good news for sure!
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

Caitlin

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
If you have a medical condition that requires medication every day, how will that affect the Peace Corps' evaluation?  The condition is not serious. 

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
I took a pill every day for high cholesterol.  Many women volunteers took a daily birth control pill.  It is quite common to be on a daily medicine.  The Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) will get a supply to you.  It is not uncommon and not a problem, and medical will know that. 

Good luck with everything.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
If you have a medical condition that requires medication every day, how will that affect the Peace Corps' evaluation?  The condition is not serious.

I am lucky my condition does not require medication.
Caroline

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
I took a pill every day for high cholesterol.  Many women volunteers took a daily birth control pill.  It is quite common to be on a daily medicine.  The Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) will get a supply to you.  It is not uncommon and not a problem, and medical will know that. 

Good luck with everything.

I am on birth control. I was wondering if I could stay on it. I am not currently active  and do not plan to be on service but, would like to take it anyways.
Caroline

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:07:25 AM »

I am on birth control. I was wondering if I could stay on it. I am not currently active  and do not plan to be on service but, would like to take it anyways.

It's rather common for PCVs to come in on birth control, and I know the doctors work with you pretty closely on it. I would suggest bringing several months worth to get you started (I think they say 3 of all meds? Or is it 6?). Not being of the female gender, I've never had this experience personally, though...
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council