What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Older Applicant  (Read 73 times)

Offline janet425

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Older Applicant
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
I applied in January 2017 to serve in the Peace Corps anywhere I'm needed.  I have 35 years of professional experience and have run my own law firm for more than 20 years, but uncertain if that will have the same gravitas as someone that has taught school or lived abroad.  I've traveled extensively, speak a bit of several languages, and done quite a bit of volunteer work over the years.  I've also tutored students in both math and English.  Still, I'm not sure what to emphasize to make my applicant shine.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.   

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
    • Update from the Mobleys
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Older Applicant
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
I don't think you will have any problem and you should be a shoo-in.

The fact that you show an ability to learn a new language, plus the volunteering you have done is a huge plus.

When my wife and I served (2011-2013), neither of us had taught or knew another language. We both had had long professional careers (IT consulting and Nursing).

I did start volunteering in an organization that taught ESL, but I don't think I would have had to do that to get in.

Best of luck
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline janet425

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
Thank you for the supportive response - and congratulations on your stint in Botswana. My HR status went to "under review" last week and hoping for a notice re interview sometime soon...although invite deadline isn't until Sept 1 so could be a while.   I feel a bit like an Oscar nominee: honored to be considered and waiting for (hopefully the right) envelope!

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
    • Update from the Mobleys
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
You are suffering from a classic case of "Restless Applicant Syndrome"
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline janet425

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
Yep, the dreaded "RAS"...lol.  Several decades of litigation have taught me patience and respect for process...thank goodness or I'd be at staring my computer screen trying to will a response from the Placement and Assessment Officer!  Nope, it will happen in due time.  In the interim,   I'm reading PC related blogs, learning about my possible destination country, and oh yeah - wrapping up my legal practice (a full time job in and of itself).  I'll post if I get an interview....and thanks again for the kind words.   (RAS....love it!)