What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Primary and Secondary Work in Peace Corps  (Read 3624 times)

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
Primary and Secondary Work in Peace Corps
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Okay this may be a bit premature since I am still waiting on a invitation, but who knows someone may need the question. Obviously, the Peace Corps is about to do work and make a difference in hosted countries and back home by providing primary jobs to PC Volunteers. How do secondary jobs work? Is it in the initiative of the volunteer? Any info on Secondary jobs one comes up with to how it was executed out? Please and Thank you!
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Primary and Secondary Work in Peace Corps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
During your service, you're pretty much allowed to do whatever you want that will benefit your community. Your post and the program you'll be working under with have a framework approved by the host gov't and PC HQ. You'll be receiving tons of training on your primary assignment, ie that framework, as well as minor training on how to do projects outside the framework.

Anything you do outside that framework is a secondary project or secondary work. And yes, you can do those kinds of things. If you're an agriculture volunteer and you want to start a grass roots comics campaign, go right ahead. 

Sometimes secondary projects and initiatives fall into your lap, come from Post staff, but usually you've got to hunt down these things in your community, or find a way to generate interest in them.

In the end, you can do whatever projects you wish. So long as you're helping your community!
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
My primary project was with a cultural and youth center in my village. It was a primary project because that was the organization that hosted me and I technically worked with them- putting their needs at a higher priority in my schedule. That being said, I developed secondary projects with the local school and kindergarden. Also, what started as part of a primary project, developing a scout club through our cultural center, became a secondary project: developing the national scout organization. It is very fluid and my post was super flexible. Other posts are less flexible... for example, teachers have a set schedule making it more difficult to pick up outside projects but they are still expected to find secondary projects during school vacations.

LittleJo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
Just do the things you love to do and it will all fall into place. Training will provide you with plenty of ideas and how to get started. Good luck and have fun!