What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Transportation  (Read 1458 times)

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
Transportation
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
Okay, so I know a bunch of different ways to travel. What was the most used ways that you travel(ed) while in service inside your country?
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
    • Update from the Mobleys
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Transportation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
We definitely walked everywhere we went in our village.  When we had to travel any distance it was usually in a bus or hitching a ride.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline Branden Ryan

• Posting Member
    • Branden's Chronicles Abroad
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:51 AM »
There are neat things called bajajis here in Tanzania that people use a lot in cities. Though it is against Peace Corps policy, a lot of PCTZ use pikipikis (motorcycles) sometimes because of the unreliability of transportation.
Branden Ryan
PCV, Tanzania, 2013-2015

Offline packgrl05

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
It was mainly walking in town. Some of the larger towns had tuk-tuks, which is basically a covered 3-wheeled go-kart.  To go to other towns it was by camionetas (modified school buses).  To get to work I would carpool with the other teachers or hitch-hike. 

redmaypril

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
In town I just walked around since it was a pretty small place. Everywhere else it was the dreaded "habu moto" - bush taxi! Could range from a beat up truck where I sat in the back on a pumpkin or a bag of coal (or sometimes, blessedly, sugar) with a baby on my lap, or a 19 seater van where 30+ were squished in. Good times.