What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Member Profile - Tyler  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • PC Status: RPCV
Member Profile - Tyler
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
This Peace Corps Forum member has the user name "Tyler".  Tyler has been invited to serve in Costa Rica and leaves early next year.  Here is a little more information about him...

Who are you?  I am Tyler Dickerson from Clayton, NC (the Raleigh area).   I have been invited to serve in Costa Rica in Community Economic Development, I leave for staging on my birthday (March 24th), and I couldn't be more excited.

How did you became interested in the Peace Corps? Ever since my high school freshman Spanish course, I have been fascinated with other cultures and languages. I have also found that I thoroughly enjoy and feel a need to help others through volunteering at the local rescue mission, as well as at a free clinic in Raleigh. Peace Corps just seems like a natural fit.

Tell us about your background: education and career:  I went to North Carolina State University in Raleigh, where I majored in Business Administration, concentrating in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, and minored in Spanish. Not 100% of what I wanted to do after I graduated and because the PC application process takes so long, I took a job in Columbia, SC at United Sporting Companies as a Purchasing Analyst, and have been here since.

Favorite Hobbies or interests? I love discovering new music, going to live music shows, attempting to play guitar, lifting weights, jogging, and playing soccer, baseball, basketball, and a few other sports.

How do your family and friends feel about your service? My family has made it pretty clear that they would much rather me not do Peace Corps because they fear for my safety, and of course they would rather me not be away for 2+ years. My friends for the most part have been supportive (except for a couple who think I'm an "idiot"), and are genuinely happy and excited for me.

What are your plans for the future after the Peace Corps? I plan on Peace Corps helping me get a better perspective on what I'd like to do in my future career. The plan as of now is to apply to Physician's Assistant programs when I return. I would love to do some overseas work in the future as well;

What are your thoughts about this Forum? The Forum is a great idea. PCV communication seems to be scattered throughout the internet through Facebook, Reddit, etc. and this is a seemingly great way to bring all PCV to one place of communication with other PCVs. 

Tyler's Blog address:   http://tylerencostarica.blogspot.com/
...Administrator  (RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013)

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Member Profile - Tyler
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
Hey Tyler! I'm from Raleigh and went to NCSU too! Go Pack! If you're back in town for the holidays give me a holler! We're leaving close to the same time!

Offline Khaleesi

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
Hi Tyler! I'm also thinking about applying to PA schools after service (I stage in April 2014). Unfortunately, I'm missing a good number of the pre-reqs, so I'll have to do some undergrad courses before as well. Keep in touch!

Offline Tyler

• Posting Member
    • Tyler en Costa Rica
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
jlmanzak: Awesome! Fellow Wolfpacker! I will definitely be around near Christmas time!

Khaleesi: I will have to do a few pre-reqs for a couple semester when I get back as well. I'll definitely be in touch.

-Tyler, FPCV, Costa Rica