What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: A Gift for a Departing Friend  (Read 2673 times)

Offline 4afriend

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
A Gift for a Departing Friend
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
Hi!

I have a friend who's set to leave in May. He and I are exchanging gifts for New Years based on goals we've set. I want to get my friend something for his life changing experience in the peace corps, but I have no idea what he needs.

Are there certain things you wish you had when you left? Certain trinkets, items you may have taken for granted....things you could've brought that you wish you had?

Keep in mind, he doesn't know where he's going and there's $50 limit on the gift/array of gifts. I'd really appreciate meaningful suggestions.

Thanks.

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: A Gift for a Departing Friend
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Where is he going? 

If he is going somewhere hot, like Africa, a hat is essential and worn every day (I loved mine)

Perhaps give him an external hard drive (that would be within your budget) and you could fill it with music and videos.

Let us know what you buy him...

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
I second everything The Boss said. 

How about giving him a promise.  A promise to send him a "care package" when he gets where he is going.  Once he gets there he will have a better idea what he can get locally and what he can't and will come up with a Wish List of items he wants -- you can put those things in a box and send them.

Receiving a box while at your site is WONDERFUL.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline Branden Ryan

• Posting Member
    • Branden's Chronicles Abroad
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:38:15 AM »
I second everything The Boss said. 

How about giving him a promise.  A promise to send him a "care package" when he gets where he is going.  Once he gets there he will have a better idea what he can get locally and what he can't and will come up with a Wish List of items he wants -- you can put those things in a box and send them.

Receiving a box while at your site is WONDERFUL.

I just received two boxes of goodies from home today. This is probably the best gift idea because receiving packages gives me a sense of happiness and contentment every so often after facing the challenges here at site!
Branden Ryan
PCV, Tanzania, 2013-2015

Offline packgrl05

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
I agree with the care packages once you get to your host country.  Those were great to get and lifted spirits on those down days in site.  There comes a time in site where you are craving certain foods or tokens from home and when those are sent to you it was the best thing ever. 

Offline chebeler

• Posting Member
    • Charlie in Botswaba
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
I would add a small photo book with pictures of his house, his work, his town, his friends, his dog - everything that describes his life now. The people he meets in the PC will be so interested - fellow PCVs, host family, and at site. It also makes those homesick moments easier, too.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »
A book of Forever Stamps (USA). When someone is coming back to the States, he can write a letter and have them mail it from the States.

I had to write letters t companies and send a check a few times. A book of stamps would have been great--even in these internet times.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur