What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Speeding Tickets  (Read 6111 times)

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Speeding Tickets
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
A future PCV asked about this  and I will answer here:  He was wondering if getting a speeding ticket would be a problem, and if he should even tell the Peace Corps.

I got a ticket a few weeks before staging.  Somewhere in the literature it said we had to inform them if the ticket was over a certain amount or was a DUI.  Mine was for speeding, not a DUI, but the fine was over that amount.  I started not to tell, thinking they would not know anyway but decided to not tell and them found out would probably be worse.

I called the number and informed someone who asked me to write a full statement of what happened, how fast I was going, what the fine was, what was the jurisdiction etc.  I wrote it, sent it, and got a reply back that it would not affect anything.

So speeding tickets won't cause a problem. 

Offline amrowe

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Speeding Tickets
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
I'm still waiting on an invitation, and just received a speeding ticket for going 13 over-  :-[ Since I'm not in staging I have no idea who I would need to call... also was your ticket for such a high speed? It would ease my nerves greatly.

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
When I got my ticket I had already been invited and somewhere in the invitation packet was a number to call if anything happened that they needed to be notified about.  It got real specific about tickets.  You only needed to call if the fine was over a certain amount or if it was a DUI. In my case I was about 20 mph over the limit and it was a hefty fine, so I had to call.  Again... it was not a big deal and didn't affect my PC service. 

In your case, since you have not been invited yet, I am not sure who to call, or whether you should bother to call anyone.  Also, 13 mph over the limit is not much at all.  I promise this is not going to affect anyone's decision about you going into the Peace Corps.   Relax.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
If you do decide to call, you should call the legal desk, as that is who evaluates that stuff anyway.  Backing up what the boss said, I've never heard of a speeding ticket causing someone to lose their invitation (although I don't know anyone who has had a 20mph or over ticket, all were below that).

You can get to them by calling the normal PCHQ number and asking the operator for the legal desk.

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline PeruThirdYear

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:24:10 AM »
It is ironic that PC makes an issue of traffic citations, since PCVs are not allowed to drive any vehicle during service.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
It is ironic that PC makes an issue of traffic citations, since PCVs are not allowed to drive any vehicle during service.

I literally lol on your response. :)
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
Within the two years prior to me leaving for service, I received 3 speeding tickets and 1 failure to yield ticket. None of them were very serious, and none of them met the fine limit explained in my invitation packet. BUT they do do a full background check, and I know for a fact that these come up because my placement officer knew about them.

I wouldn't be concerned, but just remember that they are the USG, and they do know EVERYTHING about you. Except for what you say on the phone; PCs appropriation isn't near big enough to go tapping lines all willy nilly like that...
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline amrowe

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I still don't know whether I will call the legal desk, but after I finish my defensive driving program I guess I'll make a decision. Maybe by then the placement desk will call me and I can just tell them directly. Fingers crossed that this invite comes soon!

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
I was scrolling through some old posts and saw this. I would highly recommend telling PC anything that might be relevant. The literature you get with your invitation tells you to inform the office of any changes in your legal status within 6 days of the incident. There's also a part of the interview where they remind you of the drug/alcohol policy, and remind you that you'll need to notify PC of any changes. As the boss pointed out, they give you the chance to explain the story yourself. When you initiate the conversation, you control where it goes. If they have to find out about it later (especially as this sounds like it resulted in required classes?) and initiate that call with you, they'll probably be less open-minded about it. While it's definitely not a violation of the PC policy to get a speeding ticket while you're in the application process, it definitely raises concerns when you're not forthcoming about information that's been requested of you.

Offline catie

• Posting Member
    • The Mountain Kingdom - Lesotho Peace Corps
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
I believe it is $200 or over you have to tell them. I got mine before I applied but I didn't know I had to report it till later. My recruiter  just sent me a form to upload to the application portal. I just filled out a form stating what is was for, how much, and how it was resolved and then uploaded it.