What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Goal Zero Solar Chargers  (Read 2713 times)

Offline worldofinflation

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Goal Zero Solar Chargers
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
Anyone have experience with their Solar panels / kits?

I'm considering the Sherpa 50 kit for my service in Zambia.

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Goal Zero Solar Chargers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:52:19 AM »
Yes!

I bought one of these kits (actually the same one I think http://www.goalzero.com/p/149/sherpa-50-solar-kit/24:2/) 3 years ago just before I started Service.

The Sherpa 50 and Nomad 13 are a great combo. I would put the panel and batter out on my roof when I went to class, and at the end of the day, fully charged. Depending on your computer, its enough for a full charge. Also, I could plug my phone into the USB port and charge it while the panel was sitting out as well!

I would also recommend the power inverter as well, although when I bough mine they didn't have the laptop port as well. But the inverter is great and lets you charge/power anything with a  plug. Judgement call there.

I would be careful aboutt he batter, though. I used mine 5-10 times a week (full power and full drain) for my first 9 months before my village got electricity. It worked great that whole time, but after about 15 months, the battery started to hold less and less of a charge to the point where it could only charge my computer about 10%. I'm not sure if it was because I was using it as a battery backup (so it was constantly charging and depleting), or if it malfunctioned, but I'm pretty sure it was the overwhelming use I was putting it through. If you use yours normally (once a day, etc), it should last your whole service. Other Volunteers from my post had the same or similar units and they had no issues with them.

They might not be the cheapest solutions, but you will not regret them.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline worldofinflation

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Goal Zero Solar Chargers
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Thanks

Probably one of the items that is worth spending the extra money on.